Texas to open 85mph hiway.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I guess I thought most Texas hiways were already 85mph!!
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/texas-to-open-fastest-us-highway-with-85-mph-limit.html

Texas will soon open a stretch of highway with the highest speed limit in the country.

The Texas Transportation Commission has approved the 85 mph speed limit for a 41-mile-long toll road near the increasingly crowded Interstate 35 corridor between Austin and San Antonio.

The road runs several miles east of the interstate between two of the state's largest metropolitan areas. And while some drivers may be eager to put the pedal to the metal and rip through the Central Texas countryside, others are asking if it is safe.

(Related: Highway deaths per mile fall to record low)

"The research is clear that when speed limits go up, fatalities go up," said Russ Rader, a spokesman for the nonprofit Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

Higher speed limits get people to their destinations faster, Rader said, "But the trade-off is more crashes and more highway deaths."

A 2009 report in the American Journal of Public Health studied traffic fatalities in the U.S. from 1995 to 2005 and found that more than 12,500 deaths were attributable to increases in speed limits on all kinds of roads.

The study also said that rural highways showed a 9.1 percent increase in fatalities on roads where speed limits were raised, but did not cite specific numbers in those instances.

Most highways in the U.S. top out at 75 mph, and there are no longer any roads in the U.S. with no speed limit like Germany's autobahn. Some highways in rural West Texas and Utah have 80 mph speed limits.
The Texas Legislature last year approved 85 mph limits for some new stretches of road. The strip of toll road running from Austin to Seguin, about 35 miles northeast of San Antonio, will be the first to allow that speed when it opens in November.

The Texas Transportation Commission, which is appointed by Gov. Rick Perry, approved the 85 mph speed limit at a public meeting on Aug. 30. A transportation department spokesman said commissioners would not comment on their decision.

Agency officials had previously said they would study the toll road's topography, the speeds that most drivers were reaching, and the safety of access points and cross sections before approving the 85 mph speed limit.

"Safety is our top priority and tests have shown the designated speed is a safe one," agency spokeswoman Veronica Beyer said.

Alan Guckian, who lives in Austin and regularly drives to Seguin to visit family, said he'll likely use the road for convenience and the pleasure of driving fast.

"I would love it," Guckian said. "Sometimes it's fun to just open it up."

Steve Marcy sometimes uses another part of the toll road on his daily commute from Round Rock, north of Austin, to his job in San Antonio. The section he drives now has an 80 mph speed limit.

Marcy said he'd be comfortable driving 85, but would be concerned about others driving vehicles that are not in good condition.

"A tire blowout (at 85 mph) could be a big hazard," Marcy said.

Chris Lippincott, spokesman for SH 130 Concession Co. that is building the road, said the company is committed to operating a safe highway.

"On any road, drivers hold the key to safety based on traffic, travel conditions and the capabilities of their own vehicles," Lippincott said.

Toll prices have not yet been set for the new section. Marcy predicted the higher speed limit will attract new drivers, but said most won't think it's worth the cost of the tolls.

"For most people I talk to, it's a cost issue," Marcy said.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last time I was in Dallas, heading North out of town on HW75 on a Sunday, I was doing 95+ downtown in the lower areas with the walls on the sides and had to move over a couple of times to let the "faster" traffic through because I could not accelerate quick enough. (I drive a Suburban) Dallas Expressways have two positions, foot on the throttle to the floor, or foot on the brake. None of this touch the brake to flash the brake lights crap like around here. Step on the throttle to go, that is why it stops at the bottom on the floor, ain't got no more, brakes if it does not work out so well. Restart, do it again. I Love it.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Last time I was in Dallas, heading North out of town on HW75 on a Sunday, I was doing 95+ downtown in the lower areas with the walls on the sides and had to move over a couple of times to let the "faster" traffic through because I could not accelerate quick enough. (I drive a Suburban) Dallas Expressways have two positions, foot on the throttle to the floor, or foot on the brake. None of this touch the brake to flash the brake lights crap like around here. Step on the throttle to go, that is why it stops at the bottom on the floor, ain't got no more, brakes if it does not work out so well. Restart, do it again. I Love it.

ROFL

and they'll do 95

If I tried to get my car to go 85, it'd start hacking like an old lady smoking cigarettes...95 is just a pipe dream. I lived in Germany for a while, where you did NOT camp out in the fast lane. You risk your life if you spend any more time than is necessary in the left lane to pass the car in front of you, and you have your eyes glued to your rear view mirror the whole time to make sure the BMW 5 miles back doing 120 doesn't drive up your exhaust pipe before you have a chance to get back over.

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ROFL

If I tried to get my car to go 85, it'd start hacking like an old lady smoking cigarettes...95 is just a pipe dream. I lived in Germany for a while, where you did NOT camp out in the fast lane. You risk your life if you spend any more time than is necessary in the left lane to pass the car in front of you, and you have your eyes glued to your rear view mirror the whole time to make sure the BMW 5 miles back doing 120 doesn't drive up your exhaust pipe before you have a chance to get back over.

Even my wifes 1.6l Ford Fiesta will run 110MPH with ease. 85 is nothing. Neither is 95. I drive better at 95 than 70 because at 70 I get bored and complacent. At 95 i'm alert and observe more of what is going on around me.

America's speed limits are severely outdated. Engine power, car engineering and tire technologies are at a level that should see us cruising interstates at 80+ MPH without a problem. My theory is that limits are kept low to keep that speeding ticket revenue coming in. Drivers already exceed the limit constantly because they know that the limit is too low. Hopefully other states will soon follow suit, but as long as cops can make $300+ dollars off of an 8 minute traffic stop I doubt it will happen.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Remember the days of 55mph on the highway in OK? I can remember laying in the back glass of my parents 70' fastback mustang driving from Bartlesville to Prague to my grandparents, long trip. Wasn't 55 an effort to conserve oil/fuel in the 70's?

Latest posts

Top Bottom