Texas to open 85mph hiway.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I-35 from Thackerville to OKC has an 85 mph speed limit for Texans already.

I'm always amazed at the rationale some use for driving at high speed.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When highways are designed, a speed design is used. 75 is what is used now days for interstate and 65 on rural highways. the older highways were designed for 50 mph. Since the speed limit was raised from 55 to 65 here in OK, the fatality rates have skyrocketed simply because these older rural roads are not designed for safe travel at 65 mph.

Last edited:

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last time I was in Dallas, heading North out of town on HW75 on a Sunday, I was doing 95+ downtown in the lower areas with the walls on the sides and had to move over a couple of times to let the "faster" traffic through because I could not accelerate quick enough. (I drive a Suburban) Dallas Expressways have two positions, foot on the throttle to the floor, or foot on the brake. None of this touch the brake to flash the brake lights crap like around here. Step on the throttle to go, that is why it stops at the bottom on the floor, ain't got no more, brakes if it does not work out so well. Restart, do it again. I Love it.

Yea I was just in Texas at the beginning of August and they can go from 80+ down to a dead stop in about half a second.

On the bright side I did get to see a couple blondes driving around in one of these, made my drive better for sure.

[Broken External Image]

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've driven in Texas before...they only use speed limits as a dare to beat them. I don't really see a problem with 85...most everyone is driving that speed anyways. Gotta give them credit though...increase the speed but charge you to drive on it. I'm surprised Oklahoma hasn't done it already, we love a good turnpike scam here. I'm waiting for Oklahoma to ban business that provide food/drinks, gas and restrooms on any road that circumvents the turnpikes lol.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gotta give them credit though...increase the speed but charge you to drive on it. I'm surprised Oklahoma hasn't done it already, we love a good turnpike scam here.

I think we already have. Turnpikes can be 75, but I've never seen a free road post more than 70. Isn't I-40 out west to the TX border only 70 (It's been about 6 years since I have taken that road)? And 412 out west of Enid and on through the Panhandle (about 20 years since I've been out to Boise City).

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I'm home sick so let's pick on Clay.

When highways are designed, a speed design is used. 75 is what is used now days for interstate and 65 on rural highways. the older highways were designed for 50 mph. Since the speed limit was raised from 55 to 65 here in OK, the fatality rates have skyrocketed simply because these older rural roads are not designed for safe travel at 65 mph.

a.) ********

b.) correlation does not imply causation

c.) correlation really does not imply causation when you're talking insignificant and non-trending rate changes

http://www.ok.gov/health/documents/Traffic.pdf

http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa346.pdf

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=13776685

Latest posts

Top Bottom