Driving on the highway and cruise control observations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when I'm running the cruise control, the ones that I hate are leeches. the ones that are going slow so you get in the left lane to pass and as you're passing they suddenly decide to speed up and drive along side of you, then I speed up more to finally pass them and they seem to latch on at my speed for about 2 minutes then they finally slow back down to their slower speed and I leave them falling behind. happens all of the time.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So newer cars have radar cruise it will slow you down and keep pace with lead car so you don't run into it. Settings on distance can be changed, or you can run at a set pace. Maybe that's what your encountering

It's all older cars or lower end cars that lack the technology.

It's just people being stupid.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Drill a small hole in exhaust before the last muffler and insert small copper tubing and hose clamp it to the exhaust and then run it up away from heat and attach the windshield washer pump to it.

Fill the pump with wd40.
Someone gets on your ass or you see them about to get there let out a couple puffs of smoke.
If they get too close let it pump a bit and they will no longer tailgate you.

That would explain why that POS is in the slow lane is what they would be thinking.
If they give you the finger it will still be worth it.

Batman Smokescreen.

Do not get me started on the bean can full of marbles/rocks that dumps from under the car with a solenoid hooked to the horn button.
I do believe that this is the most mean thing you have ever typed on OSA. There is hope!

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So newer cars have radar cruise it will slow you down and keep pace with lead car so you don't run into it. Settings on distance can be changed, or you can run at a set pace. Maybe that's what your encountering
This driving behavior has been going on longer than cars have been smart, so I doubt its that. I have noticed that it happens a lot more since cell phones became a thing

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a simple guy in a vehicle that does not get great MPG, so I set the cruise at 70 and just hang in the right lane. (Even when the speed limit is higher)

Per the law, and per common driving etiquette, I couldn't be less of a bother and am not in anyone's way or causing any inconvenience. If you want to do +1 or +100 mph more than me, then be my guest; the left lane is always open.

I have lost count of how many people I'll see in my rear view coming up on my rear, in my lane, at 75 or 80, and then instead of passing me on the left, they ride my ass for a few seconds and then they fall back to 2-3 car following distance. Then, they just hang there....... often for miles at a time, as other cars who are doing the same speed as them originally are passing on the left.

Then, suddenly, it's like they woke up or regained consciousness and I'll see them pass and go flying off into the distance at 80. (these are not people who are needing to exit on an upcoming ramp)

I THINK these are people who do not use cruise control, and most likely don't look at their instrument cluster while driving either. They are completely oblivious of driving, rules of the road, time, speed, etc. They seem to be "driving by imitation" based on whoever is around them. This is the only explanation I can come up with for such behavior.

One other phenomenon I've noticed are "yo yo drivers" who basically do the same thing as above, but they will repeatedly fall back like 20 cars behind, then speed up to ride your ass for a few seconds, and then fall back again. They usually yo yo about 10 times before they figure out they can pass on the left and get to their destination faster. I think these people are usually texting or sleepy so their inclination is to hang behind something going a known speed until they can focus back on the important task at hand.
Or they drive a GD Subaru with that eyesight crap on. I can be driving the speed limit in cruise control and come upon a guy like you. My car slows down to match your speed and I don't effin realize it until everyone that is not driving a Subaru is passing me. Freakin hell!

It also jerks me back and forth thinking I'm getting too close to crossing into another lane. During one 100 mile drive in the Texas Panhandle, I had to read the effin book to find out how to turn that sh18t off because the road had been striped to facilitate construction and they didn't erase the existing stripe. Damn thing couldn't figure out which lane it wanted to be in. I'm really surprised the car didn't get me a DUI stop.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or they drive a GD Subaru with that eyesight crap on. I can be driving the speed limit in cruise control and come upon a guy like you. My car slows down to match your speed and I don't effin realize it until everyone that is not driving a Subaru is passing me. Freakin hell!

It also jerks me back and forth thinking I'm getting too close to crossing into another lane. During one 100 mile drive in the Texas Panhandle, I had to read the effin book to find out how to turn that sh18t off because the road had been striped to facilitate construction and they didn't erase the existing stripe. Damn thing couldn't figure out which lane it wanted to be in. I'm really surprised the car didn't get me a DUI stop.

Our Expedition has all that nonsense crud in it. At least Ford did away with the vehicle wanting to die at the lights or stop signs and then come back to life when one gets off the brake. I found out how to turn off the adaptive cruise feature pretty darn quick. I can also easily turn off the "lane assist" feature as well.

Since I am a "professional driver" during the Summer on our Summer jobs, I notice that most problems are cell phones. Their owners get to talking on the phone or texting and end up slowing down or weaving around. Then, when they get to a traffic light, they have their head in their phone and don't notice the light has turned green.

So, in all reality, it is still the driver at fault because they aren't very knowledgeable.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drill a small hole in exhaust before the last muffler and insert small copper tubing and hose clamp it to the exhaust and then run it up away from heat and attach the windshield washer pump to it.

Fill the pump with wd40.
Someone gets on your ass or you see them about to get there let out a couple puffs of smoke.

That would explain why that POS is in the slow lane is what they would be thinking.

Batman Smokescreen.

Do not get me started on the bean can full of marbles/rocks that dumps from under the car with a solenoid hooked to the horn button.
Oddly enough , my friend did a windshield washer tank and pump to put transmission fluid down the carb in high school.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a simple guy in a vehicle that does not get great MPG, so I set the cruise at 70 and just hang in the right lane. (Even when the speed limit is higher)

Per the law, and per common driving etiquette, I couldn't be less of a bother and am not in anyone's way or causing any inconvenience. If you want to do +1 or +100 mph more than me, then be my guest; the left lane is always open.

I have lost count of how many people I'll see in my rear view coming up on my rear, in my lane, at 75 or 80, and then instead of passing me on the left, they ride my ass for a few seconds and then they fall back to 2-3 car following distance. Then, they just hang there....... often for miles at a time, as other cars who are doing the same speed as them originally are passing on the left.

Then, suddenly, it's like they woke up or regained consciousness and I'll see them pass and go flying off into the distance at 80. (these are not people who are needing to exit on an upcoming ramp)

I THINK these are people who do not use cruise control, and most likely don't look at their instrument cluster while driving either. They are completely oblivious of driving, rules of the road, time, speed, etc. They seem to be "driving by imitation" based on whoever is around them. This is the only explanation I can come up with for such behavior.

One other phenomenon I've noticed are "yo yo drivers" who basically do the same thing as above, but they will repeatedly fall back like 20 cars behind, then speed up to ride your ass for a few seconds, and then fall back again. They usually yo yo about 10 times before they figure out they can pass on the left and get to their destination faster. I think these people are usually texting or sleepy so their inclination is to hang behind something going a known speed until they can focus back on the important task at hand.
I have the answer but won't respond because a couple folks would be offended.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Fill the pump with wd40.

Batman Smokescreen.

I understand why you said before the last muffler, so it won't clog the CC.
Back in the high school days when folks were dragging main street in Ponca, I did a bit of 1 block street racing. Lots of LEO in attendance.
I had cable controlled dumps on my 55 Ford custom line with a pump oil can filled with a mix of kerosene and marvel mystery oil plumbed into the exhaust manifold. With three story buildings on either side, I could basically bring traffic behind me to a standstill with all the smoke while the opponent and I got the green light to race.
Got a lot of tickets back in the day with the lead foot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom