The Day After...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you could be like me, I don't prep one bit. If something happens it happens. I know how to hunt and make fire and disinfect water. I have a home that I won't bug out of unless something horrible happened. I don't have the money to spend on prepping. There are a few things I believe are essential but beyond that I think it's a waste of time. If something ever happens to where people are having to bug out we are all in for a rude awakening. Most won't be prepared for it no matter what kind of prepping has been done.
I am guessing you don't have home insurance, car insurance, life insurance, medical coverage, a fire extinguisher, tools, flashlights, savings account, tire lug wrench, car jack, AAA, any type of medication that you might need to include aspirin or band-aids.... since you never plan to use any of those right?

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you could be like me, I don't prep one bit. If something happens it happens. I know how to hunt and make fire and disinfect water. I have a home that I won't bug out of unless something horrible happened. I don't have the money to spend on prepping. There are a few things I believe are essential but beyond that I think it's a waste of time. If something ever happens to where people are having to bug out we are all in for a rude awakening. Most won't be prepared for it no matter what kind of prepping has been done.

I agree if masses of people have to bug out we are screwed, but what if, say ,your neighborhood just needed to go? What if you have a natural gas leak or some other such emergency. It would be nice to just be able to grab a bag and go instead of worrying about do I need this? Do I have that? etc. I am more inclined to agree with clock152 if you have bandaids and meds in the cabinet and bread in the pantry you are prepping. Not all prepping is for doomsday

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha!

Even now, or maybe I should say especially now, I'm not "good" with fictional crap ... Folks who quote passages from "One Second After" or anything of James Wesley pause wait for it comma Rawles wear me thin ... Especially when there are so many REAL LIFE situations and CURRENT EVENTS they could draw some REAL lessons from ... Argentina, just about any place in Africa, any number of situations that have befallen the people in the Middle East, Cyprus, Greece, Bosnia, and on and on ...

I suspect it's because when folks read fiction they can put it down and in the back of their minds say ... "Well, maybe that could happen and it's kinda scary ... but really it IS just fiction ..."

When you read FerFal's accounts of his real life experiences or Selco's accounts of his real life experiences, or some of the bloggers out there who are in Greece, Venezula or the Ukraine, just to name a few, it's quite a gut check ... And not one you can calm yourself by saying "Oh well, in the end, that scenario was just the figment of someone's very active imagination ..."

Watching this may actually deter you from prepping. To the best of my knowledge, this was aired once, and has never been televised again. I have it on DVD. There is NO happy ending here. I suspect it was as accurate as possible as to the aftermath of a nuclear attack on multiple closely spaced targets. I expect for most people it was extremely terrifying, particularly those living with a Minuteman or Titan II silo in their backyard. It does a fair depiction of the collapse of services, radiation effects, and the rapid cascade of world events leading up to the war.

Elm Creek Smith

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, since the Air Force Plant at the airport became a bus factory, I doubt that we're even near a secondary nuke target anymore, and I'm far enough away from refineries that I'm not terribly worried about them getting hit. I still have my CBR/NBC downwind projection plotting stuff for chemical and fallout forecasts, but my primary concern is weather-related issues followed by "civil unrest." I just don't know what side of the "civil unrest" I'll be on. (It depends on the type of "civil unrest.")

"The Day After" was a anti-nuclear weapons "Oh, my God! We're all going to die!" propaganda piece.

Latest posts

Top Bottom