The Defense of the American Language Act

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Websterian English should be made the official language of the United States of America. I'd favor an act of Congress and/or an Amendment to Our Constitution to that effect.

I have contacted my US lawmakers stating my position on language in our land. Speaking of language, some things bother me.

Pressing 1 for English on the telephone.
Call centers for customer service (computers, phones, issues with consumer products, etc.) with accents that are hard to understand.

Have you noticed a lot foreign accents are heard when calling tech support for various products and services?
Asian/Indian accents dominate high-tech-related calls. Do you fellow Yankees often have trouble understanding what is being said over the telephone with these strong accents as I do? Being an American raised in a middle-class neighborhood, I prefer people over the telephone who speak standard American dialect English clearly. Thick New Orleans, Boston, New York and Southern accents can be annoying to me too.

Standard American dialect is rhotic for example: R's are pronounced at the ends of words and before final consonants. WORD sounds like WURHD, not WUHD. Also, HAM AND EGGS sounds like HAM AND EGGZ, not HOMM n EX.

Last edited:

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
but Bob, but Bob, but Bob....
1632527774038.png

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What, there are other people on the world that don’t speak English as their first language and you have to interact with them sometimes?

I’ve met my fair share of born and raised okies that don’t speak “Websterian” English either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom