The EDC med kit thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is that really what we want to make the thread about? Like I said, not common in typically taught in ALS/BLS . It's more of a wilderness EMT, combat medic or TEMS type skill.
For those that think I'm making it up, here's what I found in about 4 min and Google.

http://www.acep.org/MobileArticle.aspx?id=70882&coll_id=693&parentid=740

http://books.google.com/books?id=2_...X&ei=MH0KUvqTI-Gh2gX0wYDoDQ&ved=0CCcQ6AEwADgK

http://books.google.com/books?id=AR...a=X&ei=eoEKUviiK8T02gXRyYH4Bw&ved=0CDsQ6AEwCA

neginfluence04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Long story short

A few years back I was at OCCC during an art expo when the large main attraction area tint was blown down. It lifted the poles off the ground and tossed them 50+ feet into the air. Some were swung through the crowd like a batter in a batting cage. During the incident I managed to get to the main support beams and hold it up so my family could escape. I then dropped it and jumped in front of a swinging steel pole to stop it from hitting another family. I deflected it with my hands and forearm which caused two fractures to my left arm and one to my right arm (unknown at the time). I then made my way towards the front where all the kids were waiting on the magic show to start. As I made my way forward I came across a women that had a very deep cut to her face, chest, and head. I picked her up and carried her to a near by table so that i could check on her. I ended up taking my hoody off and used it to apply pressure to her wounds on her face and head. When I walked away I was covered from my neck to my quads with blood. It looked like I had bathed in someone else's blood and many paramedics thought I was seriously injuries due to all the blood I had all over me. I'm not sure what use a small med kit would have done but the water, blankets, and change of cloths i keep in my vehicle saved me from having to make a 45 min drove home drenched in someone else's blood. This isn't the first time I've been in the wrong place at the right time. Each and every time I have been involved in an accident like that or something along its lines I wish I could have done more to help those involved.

Over the last ten years I've seen and tried/did help with

House fire in Duncan with people trapped inside. 911 operator told me not to enter the house but i couldn't and wouldn't listen to people burn to death. (Tragic story that still weighs on me heavily because I could do more)

Car wreck off I-35 and 19th after an ice storm. I witnessed a truck speed pass me, lose control, and crash. When i approached his mangled truck he was gone. I ended up finding him 35-50 feet from his truck with a broke arm and lots of cuts.

Tornado off highway 9 (multiple times)

OCCC incident

Hunter shot by accidental discharge in the middle of the woods. Guy wasn't part of our group and I just happen to stumble a upon him right before he passed out from shock.

Theft turned knife fight at best buy (years ago)

Theft turned fist fight at best buy

And a few other random car wrecks and things I've seen.

I fear one day I will happen across something that I couldn't help with because 1) I didn't have enough knowledge or training or 2) I didn't have the right supplies with me and someone will end up dying. I'm by far no miracle man, superman, or even a hero by any means but I always find myself in the right place at the right time when bad thing are happening or when people need help.

neginfluence04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be honest with you I've never been much into EDC items. But with the drastic changes in weather, natural disasters, and incidents that I have been involved in its opened my eyes to thing I need. Example I keep a change of cloths, 72hour food kit, and water in all of our vehicles. Within arms length there is always a firearm, a sharp blade, my wallet, my cell phone, and my camelbak which is stuff with junk. It is usually filled with 1 gallon of water, 2 protein bars, small survival kit, poverty med kit, multi tool, water tester and water tablets, 1 life straw, larger knife, back up mags, etc. the camelbak has a place on the back that I would like to mollie a maxpedition EDC pocket bag to hold medical supplies. I never go anywhere now days without my camelbak and some form of protections and a light

Latest posts

Top Bottom