The increased cost of vehicle maintenance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have some good info in the gearheads and lots of questions answered and input there on maintenance. I've had some good help.

@Ready_fire_aim
My 1st gen Tacoma blew a head gasket at 220k. Thought about selling it but just going to put a new aftermarket head on when I can. Parts are only about 1800 total. I've babied that truck and never even let anyone else drive it or work on it. Only Toyota factory parts.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have some good info in the gearheads and lots of questions answered and input there on maintenance. I've had some good help.

@Ready_fire_aim
My 1st gen Tacoma blew a head gasket at 220k. Thought about selling it but just going to put a new aftermarket head on when I can. Parts are only about 1800 total. I've babied that truck and never even let anyone else drive it or work on it. Only Toyota factory parts.
4cyl? Man that sucks. But even old Toyotas do indeed have failures, just the nature of machines and all.

Ive got the 3.4 v6s and the 4.7 v8 in the wife’s sequoia. Knock on wood they “should” go to 300k lol

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4cyl? Man that sucks. But even old Toyotas do indeed have failures, just the nature of machines and all.

Ive got the 3.4 v6s and the 4.7 v8 in the wife’s sequoia. Knock on wood they “should” go to 300k lol
Yes, 4cyl. And it is somewhat rare. I think those head gasket failures are more common on the 3rz surprisingly. I used only Toyota red factory coolant and that might have been a mistake. I've seen the 3.4 go 350k a few times. I think that 4.7 is one of the best v8s ever.

TwoShoots

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The main cost is labor anymore. You've got about $400 in materials there, but several hours in labor. At 120 or more per hour it adds up quickly.

But even if you did have them do the work, it's still cheaper than a payment on a car. Screw that. I'll never make another payment on a car. I like having money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom