The new phone book's here!! The new phone book's here!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Although I am not nearly fond of A2s (not as clean and simple), you are right, but at least you can still buy them new from a lot of the companies. Not so for A1s. Only Novak Spud, and they say they won't be making any for quite a while, and have none on hand.

I like the sleekness of the A1, and I like the size of the sight aperture better too. This is what I have for two of them:

www_ar15_com_media_viewFile_html_ece32c0d94e7dd8870156aac8e7f165b._.jpg

Deflectors are for bitches.

That is a beautiful A1 upper (except for that A2 port door) ;)

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed. Not mine, just a picture. I have A1 doors for my A1 uppers, but not the new DPMS with the deflector, and I'm cool with it. I figure the Colt receivers deserve them more. You should see the sweet 69-71 Colt that I traded for. Now THAT is a pretty bastard! I'll take a picture later. I call it a 69-71 because of the dating of the barrel it wore.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed. Not mine, just a picture. I have A1 doors for my A1 uppers, but not the new DPMS with the deflector, and I'm cool with it. I figure the Colt receivers deserve them more. You should see the sweet 69-71 Colt that I traded for. Now THAT is a pretty bastard! I'll take a picture later. I call it a 69-71 because of the dating of the barrel it wore.

Please post a pic. I would love to see it.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will. My wife got me this iPad for my birthday, and I'm just getting to know it. It is my goal to figure out how! Apple is weird.

I'll take a pic of all 4, for posterity's sake.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The little bumper (square thing) has a wedge shape on the A2. It is flat on the A1. With an A1, when you close the lower back up, you need to close the door so it won't gouge up your lower. Not so with the new door.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The little bumper (square thing) has a wedge shape on the A2. It is flat on the A1. With an A1, when you close the lower back up, you need to close the door so it won't gouge up your lower. Not so with the new door.

Exactly.

A1 Door
img.photobucket.com_albums_0603_Ekie12091941_variation_20guide_portdoorA1.jpg

A2 Door (also used on M4's)
img.photobucket.com_albums_0603_Ekie12091941_variation_20guide_portdoorA2.jpg

There was also a third type of door used called the ArmaLite port door. This part was used on the AR-15, and early M16 and XM16E1 rifles, and was dropped in 1964.
img.photobucket.com_albums_0603_Ekie12091941_variation_20guide_portdoorarmalite.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom