The One That Got Away

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And now, The Rest of The Story...

Fast foward two months...

We pasture our cattle on our wheat ground during the winter so they have something to eat and we won't have to feed them hay everyday. When the weather looks nasty, snow or rain, we shut them off so they don't stomp the wheat into mud. We had the cattle shut off the wheat but they had got out anyways. My brother went to find where they had got out. He found a good sized hole in the fence so he patched it up with wire and drove a couple posts. As he was walking back to his pickup he tripped on something. Thinking it was just a stick buried in the snow, he looked down and couldn't believe what he saw....

He had tripped over that deers right antler. He knew immediately it was that deer. He began to look around and not 10 yards away was the other antler. Talk about luck. The deer survived to grow another year, we got an awesome video, and my brother found his sheds!

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
hey thanks for sharing it was a great vid been there and done that and how lucky is that finding that great bucks sheds,it is also amazing that you have a place that has that tall of grass this year,i have a couple places in dewey county that has'nt had a cow on them in 10 years or longer,in years past bluestem would be from waist to shoulder high,this year there is no grass only broom weeds and no deer on the property

Last edited:

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is absolutely awesome! Congrats to your brother on a great stalk. And, now you KNOW he is waiting out there for next year!

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as he's got a good food and doe supply, y'all should get another crack at him. We've got one on our farm we call Baldy. He was shot at 9 times in 4 days. 450 yd shot taken by a friend while Baldy was mounted up on a doe. The shot grazed some hair. Then my uncle popped off 5 rounds while he was on the run. Shortest distance was about 400 yards. Then I started shooting. I fired 3 times with my closest shot making contact at 300 yards. Followed a very light blood trail for about 200 yards. Never found anything significant enough to lead us to beleive he received a serious wound. He was probably about 20''-22'' wide. Not very tall though. We've taken some real studs out there in the past few years. We're laying off the bucks for a couple years, just to see how big they'll get. No feeders, tall fences, or bait. Just good ol' fashioned soy beans, winter wheat, natural vegetation, and a TON of does. It sucks missin' the "big one", but there's always next year

Latest posts

Top Bottom