The Plane No One Wanted, but Could Land on a Football Field

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no idea what the Coanda effect is, but the placement of the engines on the AN-72 are definitely similar to the plane in the original post.
I didnt either so I looked it up, still dont understand it lol

The Coandă effect is a physical phenomenon in fluid mechanics that refers to the tendency of fluids, such as air or water, to adhere to a curved surface instead of following a straight path. This fluid dynamics phenomenon can be observed in various situations from the flight of an airplane to the operation of a steam turbine.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Think high pressure underneath and lower pressure above contributing to lift. It's not much different than Bernoulli's principle, used in lift, just uses a different shape and engine thrust as the high pressure fluid. Read the explanations on the AN-72 page, they are a bit simpler if I'm remembering correctly. STOL stuff is fun, my father's friend while I was growing up, had a Helio Courier that we would borrow. It was a blast taking off in the front yard, out in Piedmont. We actually had a grass strip in the backyard, but the Helio didn't need it, the take off and landing run was so short.

Latest posts

Top Bottom