Just wanted one trailer to put a welder on

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn’t get too concerned about it as far as I go. If one of them works out in my direction it’s fine and if it doesn’t no big deal. I keep looking at those surplus military trailers with pintle eyes just for ground clearance. I thought it looked good the way you decked yours. What I really need to do is get off my nuts and just build what I need. Obviously there’s a demand so that bears considering.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok everyone, if everything pans out there are no more trailers for sale. Now we can just focus on how we would set our welding trailers up. I’m a much better builder than salesman. My dad could sell ice cubes to an Eskimo. My brother could steal my dads Eskimo customers by convincing them his ice cubes were colder. But I, no sales ain’t my thing. I’m just a worker. Lol

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When the smoke cleared and I was down to one trailer left…..I had no wheels and tires on my trailer. After scouring Craigslist I came up with some dirty 16” wheels wrapped in some so so all terrains for $150. I got the wheels cleaned up and ordered a new set of 235/85r16 16ply tires. These tires are overkill but they are tough. We run them on some other trailers. The only question I asked myself was the wheels say 60psi max and the tires say 120psi. So I consider the wheel the limiting factor and aired them to 60psi.
DA785959-3431-4100-BD60-2ABA214FF67E.png
F07F7C22-EFA4-40CA-ADAE-42B05EA03DD3.jpeg
610EE014-44F3-4D0C-B31C-523C3920C4E1.jpeg
8E89693E-F59F-40A8-AE06-1A3A88912EE6.jpeg

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Put 3” channel crossmembers in today and just finished sewing the 3/16” thick plate down. Local steel supply had 5’x12’ sheets so it was nice not having to piece in anything. Crossmembers have 16” between them. Stitched the border then rolled around on the creeper stitching the plate to the crossmembers from the bottom. No bigger than this trailer is I didn’t feel it were necessary to flip it over or stand it on end. The bigger wheels and tires give it lots of ground clearance so welding the underside wasn’t bad at all. Did use the kubota winch to pull the plate from one trailer into position on this one. I think the receipt said this sheet weighed 450 pounds. Subtract a twelfth and that’s what it weighs now.
59E1DD11-B2BF-476A-8C00-06B4E7D827D8.jpeg
37F9FED2-4DE4-4775-AD25-E4B82FDB186E.jpeg

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are really making me doubt my decision making ability. That’s the perfect size for a jobox, a T-35 compressor and a welding machine. 🤦‍♂️

Nice work!
I think it’s going to work great. I keep building it out in my head then re-design and build it again. I’m scratching my memory about the pros and cons of each welding trailer I’ve seen or worked from in the last 20 years. My machine isn’t supposed to be in until the beginning of August so I’m not in a big hurry and I’ll just keep plugging away on the stuff I know I want to do. Once the machine gets here I’ll position it a couple different ways and make a decision.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it’s going to work great. I keep building it out in my head then re-design and build it again. I’m scratching my memory about the pros and cons of each welding trailer I’ve seen or worked from in the last 20 years. My machine isn’t supposed to be in until the beginning of August so I’m not in a big hurry and I’ll just keep plugging away on the stuff I know I want to do. Once the machine gets here I’ll position it a couple different ways and make a decision.
What kind of machine are you going to be running? I have a couple of Bobcats, a 225 and a 250. I’d love to have one of the Airpaks that Miller makes for the railroad. There’s something to be said for 800 amps at your fingertips and continuous air.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What kind of machine are you going to be running? I have a couple of Bobcats, a 225 and a 250. I’d love to have one of the Airpaks that Miller makes for the railroad. There’s something to be said for 800 amps at your fingertips and continuous air.
I went with the Miller Trailblazer 325. I’ve run several bobcats. I decided to step up a notch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom