Trailer Tires.....again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Meat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Car and LT tires are so much better than trailer tires,
However if you have automobile / truck tires on your trailer and are involved in a serious accident because of a blow out or tire failure, those could be considered improper equipment for your trailer and you may have a serious legal issue.
This was advice from a lawyer.
I sell trailers and I give this advice to my customers.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
plenty of LT tires in 225 75 16,,,get a pair made for highway or load carrying,, there is also a higher load rated tire than LT,, the C (cargo, commercial) tire,plenty in 225 75 16,, all i have seen in C are for Heavy load carrying and would do good on a trailer or back of a truck with a heavy load.

Last edited:

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Car and LT tires are so much better than trailer tires,
However if you have automobile / truck tires on your trailer and are involved in a serious accident because of a blow out or tire failure, those could be considered improper equipment for your trailer and you may have a serious legal issue.
This was advice from a lawyer.
I sell trailers and I give this advice to my customers.
is it legal in most states to run car or LT pickup truck tires on a trailer??

Last edited:

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To the OP. How heavy is your trailer and how fast you driving. I see most people in OK pulling all sorts of trailers at 80mph. Don't know their trailer weights but pretty sure there are no trailer tires or trailer manufactures that would stand behind their product being towed at 80mph. When I moved to OK I used my 24' enclosed cargo trailer that was loaded just at or a tad over it's gvwr. I towed at 65mph most of the time and carried 3 spares on rims and 3 more tires just in case. Yes, 6 total spares. And of course never got a flat in the 7000 miles towed.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To the OP. How heavy is your trailer and how fast you driving. I see most people in OK pulling all sorts of trailers at 80mph. Don't know their trailer weights but pretty sure there are no trailer tires or trailer manufactures that would stand behind their product being towed at 80mph. When I moved to OK I used my 24' enclosed cargo trailer that was loaded just at or a tad over it's gvwr. I towed at 65mph most of the time and carried 3 spares on rims and 3 more tires just in case. Yes, 6 total spares. And of course never got a flat in the 7000 miles towed.
Bingo..... each tire mfg has a load inflation and speed spec at temperature. if you follow these your luck will improve. also some trailers aren't level when loaded and one axle or even wheel can be grossly overloaded. keeping tires over four years in service is also asking for trouble.

Latest posts

Top Bottom