Prices getting crazy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok… as everyone else has said, forget hibdons. The only thing they’re half ok for is buying tires

Valve cover gasket leak doesn’t mean crap on an older Japanese vehicle. Most likely you’re hardly loosing any oil. Just check your oil level occasionally and add if needed. Sometimes simply tightening down the valve cover fasteners will stop or at least slow the leak

Wheel bearing huh? Is is howling going down the road? Again on a cheap older vehicle I wouldn’t sweat it unless it’s screaming at you

Tie rod should be cheap and easy for a mechanic to replace. But in my experience bad tie rods don’t cause a shimmy while going straight down the road. They’re more likely to make popping sounds while turning and cause steering slop, possibly darting after hitting a bump at speed, etc

If it shimmies at 65mph it’s usually just tires. Keep driving it and either stay below or above the speed where it vibrates
This guy knows. The tires on that thing have to be old.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wheel-bearing nut probably just needs to be tightened up a bit. It needs to be jacked up, pop off the dust cover, remove the cotter pin and castle nut cover thingy, remove washer and nut, insert some grease and tighten the nut to 72(ish) ft lbs, back it off, then retorque to 13 ft lbs. I've done it a few times for a customer's pathfinder over the years. Takes about 30 minutes to do both sides and it makes a world of difference in the way it drives afterwards.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wheel-bearing nut probably just needs to be tightened up a bit. It needs to be jacked up, pop off the dust cover, remove the cotter pin and castle nut cover thingy, remove washer and nut, insert some grease and tighten the nut to 72(ish) ft lbs, back it off, then retorque to 13 ft lbs. I've done it a few times for a customer's pathfinder over the years. Takes about 30 minutes to do both sides and it makes a world of difference in the way it drives afterwards.
This guy also knows. You know who doesn't? Hibdons!!!!!!

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took my land cruiser into the dealership one time for an oil change. I had just done a full rebuild on the front axle. Extreme attention to detail. Perfect really. I was young and fit and dressed well then. They thought I must have money because that job even back then cost a bit. I went all the way back to the flange with Toyota parts and new wipers. The mfers tried to lie to me about the brakes. Even tried to say they couldn't let me leave without a million dollars worth of brake work. I knew the master cylinder was bypassing. I said show me the problem. Bring your tech out here. Well, he didn't want to come out. When you know it's funny when they try to lie to you. I ended up with free oil changes just from saying, come on man, I know damn well you're trying to rip me off. I haven't let anyone touch my vehicles since.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took my land cruiser into the dealership one time for an oil change. I had just done a full rebuild on the front axle. Extreme attention to detail. Perfect really. I was young and fit and dressed well then. They thought I must have money because that job even back then cost a bit. I went all the way back to the flange with Toyota parts and new wipers. The mfers tried to lie to me about the brakes. Even tried to say they couldn't let me leave without a million dollars worth of brake work. I knew the master cylinder was bypassing. I said show me the problem. Bring your tech out here. Well, he didn't want to come out. When you know it's funny when they try to lie to you. I ended up with free oil changes just from saying, come on man, I know damn well you're trying to rip me off. I haven't let anyone touch my vehicles since.
Yea if I could I would still be doing a lot of my own work. Not even sure I could lift the tires and rims off if I got it jacked up. Was not that long ago I was slinging hay bails, now a 40 lb bag of feed is about my max.

:crying: :crying: :crying:

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea if I could I would still be doing a lot of my own work. Not even sure I could lift the tires and rims off if I got it jacked up. Was not that long ago I was slinging hay bails, now a 40 lb bag of feed is about my max.

:crying: :crying: :crying:
I don't think the wheels need to come off, just the center caps popped off. You don't even need a torque wrench just make sure not to overtighten it. With this heat though, it is probably best to find an honest reasonable mechanic.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jack it up, put hands at 12 and 6 on the tire and see if you have slop in the bearings.

Shimmy sounds like tires to me. If you need them anyway, that would be the first stab at it, imo.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's all lies. Because I wiggled. And yes that how you generally check wheel bearings. Also japanese vehicles rarely have wheel bearing problems less than 200k miles. But my fords got all the problems.

Latest posts

Top Bottom