Prices getting crazy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hibdons here in the Tulsa area are crooks. They tried to sell my SIL a bunch of repairs that was not needed.
Traditionally and historically, women going into some repair facilities get screwed.
There was a big expose on TV awhile back where fake problems were put on vehicles with men driving them in and then women driving them in. Most were honest, but a pretty good percentage tried to shaft the women with un-needed repairs.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to call Absolute Auto Monday and have him check it out. He did some work on our old car and did good work at a reasonable price. Couple days later is when the wife wrecked it. :P

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Traditionally and historically, women going into some repair facilities get screwed.
There was a big expose on TV awhile back where fake problems were put on vehicles with men driving them in and then women driving them in. Most were honest, but a pretty good percentage tried to shaft the women with un-needed repairs.
What are you talking about? It happens with everyone. They size you up and decide what to tell you based on what they can get out of you. It's just usually women both know nothing about cars and are non confrontational.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are you talking about? It happens with everyone. They size you up and decide what to tell you based on what they can get out of you. It's just usually women both know nothing about cars and are non confrontational.
Just quoting what was on that investigative report on TV. It's not my opinion, just what was reported.

TwoShoots

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off let me say that I am not asking for help. We will get things done some at a time like we always do.

Anyway, took the Pathfinder in to Hibdon's to get the front end alignment checked as the car has a shimmy between 65 and 70 on the highway. Turns out not the alignment but the wheel bearings and a tie rod end. Also going to need a head gasket replaced and tires before too long. All together close to $2000.00 if I was crazy enough to have Hibdon's do all of it.

Sad part is years ago I could have done half of it myself. I have replaced head gaskets and wheel bearings before. Granted it was on a 65 Chevy pickup but still, I did them. I thought I would check to see how hard wheel bearings are on this car. Holy crap! The first 5 minutes of a 13 minute video and I knew there was no way I could do it. Not only do I not have the strength anymore, but buying the tools would cost me a fortune. I already knew I did not have the torque wrenches and stuff for the head gaskets.

So that is my ***** for the day and thank/s for letting me vent. They said the head gasket and wheel bearing are the most pressing but I worry more about the tie rod end and will probably have it replaced first. Wheel bearings, front end, then worry about tires and head gasket. At least that seems like the best order to me. Anyone think different.

Yes I just fed a opening to the peanut gallery. :P
Nissan just can not make a car.
Sorry you're hit with this. Hibdon's is pretty high generally though. Do you have another place close by?
Wait, you're in Edmond. Run it by that M place off Broadway and about 15th street. Magic? Metric? I forget, but it's right between 15th and 33rd. A buddy of mine used to work there. The manager is strict no BS.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56991

New to the site!
Reaction score
I feel for you, dude. The starter started going out on my Honda, and two repair shops quoted me about $900 to replace it. I used my neighbor’s vehicle lift and did the job myself for $350 - and several hours plus some choice language for the engineers who designed the starter’s location. Wasn’t easy like on the 1991 Chevy 1500 pickup I had!
I had alternator replaced at a cost of 600 bucks on Ford escape. It used to be a 20 minute job now much longer. These vehicles have so much trouble I'll never buy another. I yearn to own an older vehicle I can keep up myself.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had alternator replaced at a cost of 600 bucks on Ford escape. It used to be a 20 minute job now much longer. These vehicles have so much trouble I'll never buy another. I yearn to own an older vehicle I can keep up myself.
Yes I have always said if I ever hit a big lotto win, I would have a few fully restored classics to drive.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd take it to Weavers off 39th and east of Portland Ave

100% correct, My grandpa used to go to Weavers. I'm sure it has changed hands more than once.

Hibdons are crooks since they sold their business years ago. I will never take my car there.

Last edited:

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea if I could I would still be doing a lot of my own work. Not even sure I could lift the tires and rims off if I got it jacked up. Was not that long ago I was slinging hay bails, now a 40 lb bag of feed is about my max.

:crying: :crying: :crying:
Funny how that happens!🤨

Latest posts

Top Bottom