Prices getting crazy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off let me say that I am not asking for help. We will get things done some at a time like we always do.

Anyway, took the Pathfinder in to Hibdon's to get the front end alignment checked as the car has a shimmy between 65 and 70 on the highway. Turns out not the alignment but the wheel bearings and a tie rod end. Also going to need a head gasket replaced and tires before too long. All together close to $2000.00 if I was crazy enough to have Hibdon's do all of it.

Sad part is years ago I could have done half of it myself. I have replaced head gaskets and wheel bearings before. Granted it was on a 65 Chevy pickup but still, I did them. I thought I would check to see how hard wheel bearings are on this car. Holy crap! The first 5 minutes of a 13 minute video and I knew there was no way I could do it. Not only do I not have the strength anymore, but buying the tools would cost me a fortune. I already knew I did not have the torque wrenches and stuff for the head gaskets.

So that is my ***** for the day and thank/s for letting me vent. They said the head gasket and wheel bearing are the most pressing but I worry more about the tie rod end and will probably have it replaced first. Wheel bearings, front end, then worry about tires and head gasket. At least that seems like the best order to me. Anyone think different.

Yes I just fed a opening to the peanut gallery. :P
well the beauty is you just got a warranty. Anything that goes wrong is on them now.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can't buy good parts anymore, all china or mexico junk. Bought a Delphi fuel pump and it has made in China all over it.
Such a true statement, and terrible implications unfortunately. I’m an old Toyota fanboy. I can still get lots of oem parts, but not everything. The aftermarket stuff is shocking how junk it is. The majority of parts in an autozone or orielys are China junk. Sad situation really

Edit: I also want to add while on this topic… places like hibdon are absolutely going to use the cheapest China parts for any work they do. Tie rods, bearings, ball joints, etc. I wouldn’t trust a bit of it

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you saying 2k for wheel bearings tie rod, head gasket and tires? That seems cheap as shite if so.
That’s what I was thinking. I was Quoted 2,200 for wheel bearing and axel on both side. The head gasket along is around 2,000. I will get a second opinion.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last time I went to hibdons was about 10 years ago. I was putting new springs on a Tacoma. I didn't want to rent a spring compressor so I just took them off and took them to hibdons to use their machine and swap them out. Got home put the strut assembly back on both sides. Ones side was off. They had forgot to put the spacer back in one of them. Took it off again, went back to hibdons and they found the spacer on the ground. Asked if they could refund a little bit of my money since it didn't go well. They said no and they could actually charge me the full price of 350 or something like that even though I took them off and brought all the parts in. They were rude too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom