Prices getting crazy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man there wasn't a single oil leak from the top side at least and it ran smooth. For the love of God unless you just want to throw the car away do not let hibdons touch the motor.

Sounds to me like you might just need a new belt and maybe a tie rod/wheel bearing. Eve that I don't trust from hibdons.
Yea I was more interested in them maybe doing a front end alignment as they did one years ago for us that was done very well and at a reasonable price. Not interested in them doing much else. I still think the belt just needs tightening a bit. Only time it squalls is first start of the day or if it has been sitting a long time.

The shimmy on cars I have owned before was always the alignment or a wheel out of balance.

Oh and don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about the car at all. In fact I really like it. But like any 20 some year old car there are going to be little problems that I try to head off before they get big. It is a very nice car and I intend to take car of it. Luckily the state pulled my wife's drivers license so the car is safe, for now. :P

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And hibdons will just flat out lie to you. They will never touch anything of mine.
When Mr. Hibdon started a car selling business several years back, his radio ads explicitly stated that he had sold his tire business years earlier and had no affiliation with them. Even back then Hibdon’s Tires Plus had pooped all over the name.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When Mr. Hibdon started a car selling business several years back, his radio ads explicitly stated that he had sold his tire business years earlier and had no affiliation with them. Even back then Hibdon’s Tires Plus had pooped all over the name.
Hibdons has been bought and sold a few times since it was a family owned store. it is NOW and has been for years owned by Bridgestone/Firestone. And that's a company that's caused a lot of heartache in this state. So unless my trucks on fire. never mind I'll still push it past a hibdons.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
RickN, I hope you get it sorted out.
And thank you to everyone who posted suggestions for auto repair shops. I know some older friends who have asked for suggestions in that area.:thumbup3:

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea I was more interested in them maybe doing a front end alignment as they did one years ago for us that was done very well and at a reasonable price. Not interested in them doing much else. I still think the belt just needs tightening a bit. Only time it squalls is first start of the day or if it has been sitting a long time.

The shimmy on cars I have owned before was always the alignment or a wheel out of balance.

Oh and don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about the car at all. In fact I really like it. But like any 20 some year old car there are going to be little problems that I try to head off before they get big. It is a very nice car and I intend to take car of it. Luckily the state pulled my wife's drivers license so the car is safe, for now. :P
Yeah it might just need a new belt. Then I would have someone honest see if it really needs a wheel bearing and tie rod. Just glad to hear it's not a head gasket. I was like how TF did that happen already haha. You do you but I wouldn't try to keep it perfect because it should last a really long time with just good fluids.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a shimmy on a car once, took it to a front end shop and they said tie rods and rotors need replaced. I had it done and took the car home and the shimmy persisted. It turns out that the tires were seconds and out of round. I think I'd get a second opinion.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a shimmy on a car once, took it to a front end shop and they said tie rods and rotors need replaced. I had it done and took the car home and the shimmy persisted. It turns out that the tires were seconds and out of round. I think I'd get a second opinion.
I second (or third or fourth) on getting a second opinion.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok… as everyone else has said, forget hibdons. The only thing they’re half ok for is buying tires

Valve cover gasket leak doesn’t mean crap on an older Japanese vehicle. Most likely you’re hardly loosing any oil. Just check your oil level occasionally and add if needed. Sometimes simply tightening down the valve cover fasteners will stop or at least slow the leak

Wheel bearing huh? Is is howling going down the road? Again on a cheap older vehicle I wouldn’t sweat it unless it’s screaming at you

Tie rod should be cheap and easy for a mechanic to replace. But in my experience bad tie rods don’t cause a shimmy while going straight down the road. They’re more likely to make popping sounds while turning and cause steering slop, possibly darting after hitting a bump at speed, etc

If it shimmies at 65mph it’s usually just tires. Keep driving it and either stay below or above the speed where it vibrates

Latest posts

Top Bottom