The Talent Gap: Finding Skilled Workers Isn't Easy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How much are they paying? I can program a CNC lathe and run manual mill/lathe. :-)

If you can prove it
Ill hire you right now for $20+
Be an off shift for a while though....

We just got the OK to hire 60+ more machinist. Hell we take kids straight out of Vo Tech and give them damn near top pay plus great benefits. Plus 2 weeks vacation and week of paid sick time, the day you start. We've been doing job fairs for a year or two, picking who we can when we can, plus Ive been interviewing and training guys none stop. Problem is, we need guys that can hit the ground running! But there ain't many out there that don't already have a job or willing to work an off shift for 5-8 years before going to days.
But in this area, machinist Vo Tech is picking up pretty good. A lot of kids are doing it again.

okmic1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, I'm a cnc machinist and finding quality ones are few and far between. Most end up being just button pushers and are no where near a machinist. It takes a long time to learn this trade and most aren't willing to put in the work. Our company is hiring frantically and we get lucky every once in a while.

Even when we find good machinists many of them have character flaws that get them fired (not showing up, showing up drunk, smoking weed, etc...).

okmic1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can prove it

We just got the OK to hire 60+ more machinist. Hell we take kids straight out of Vo Tech and give them damn near top pay plus great benefits. Plus 2 weeks vacation and week of paid sick time, the day you start. We've been doing job fairs for a year or two, picking who we can when we can, plus Ive been interviewing and training guys none stop. Problem is, we need guys that can hit the ground running! But there ain't many out there that don't already have a job or willing to work an off shift for 5-8 years before going to days.
But in this area, machinist Vo Tech is picking up pretty good. A lot of kids are doing it again.

My youngest son is leaning that way now. He's working in a machine shop already, but wants to get the education to help his career.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Meh. Not as much on the job training as there used to be either. It seems all job openings want experience and a lot of it.
This was not the case not that many years ago.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took a lot of classes at vo-tech in high school. I didn't need the hours, could have graduated my sophomore year but I stuck around to hit vo-tech junior+senior year.

It's been very useful, and I don't think there would be another good opportunity in my life to sit 4hrs a day in technical classes.

Re the programmers I think a lot of people are going to be hiring out of github in the future. It will be your resume.

Meh. Not as much on the job training as there used to be either. It seems all job openings want experience and a lot of it.
This was not the case not that many years ago.

I see entry level jobs where they want you to have 1-2 years experience and require that you have a specific certification that you can only get after you've had 5yrs experience. They pay entry level salary too. Confusing, glad I've been in the game for a long time.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can prove it

I've got 4+ years engineering experience plus the machining. I'd be looking for a place I can do and get paid for both.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I had a good job here in Shawnee working at our mill. I was fired for something that I didn't do and am waiting to get my job back. I am a certified machinist but have a lot of trouble finding somewhere that pays enough or is willing to hire someone with little experience. I also have IT experience but not as much as I would probably need for someone to take a chance on me. I can rebuild pc's and also can install drivers and hardware and software. I can do a little networking and usually I can figure things out. Hopefully things will work out and I will get my job back at the mill but that isn't a guarantee. If I don't, I have to find something else. My wife makes good money but I have to have a job. I am in a pretty bad situation right now. If I was able to get a good enough job I would take it and forget about the mill. Another problem I have ran in to with machining is most places want you to work an off shift. That is something I cannot do. I love my son and my family too much to sacrifice time with them. I know that may sound stupid but its the truth. I worked for a place called Eaton for a while here in Shawnee as a Natco Drill press operator and loved it. It wasn't cnc and it wasn't a mill or a lathe but it was something I enjoyed. But the problem was they laid off over 100 employess and before that they put me on 3-11 and I hated it. Graveyard would be even worse. At the mill I worked 7-3. But I was never late and I rarely missed. I am a very good worker. I have supervisors to back that up. I graduated from Gordon Cooper Tech Center in 2008.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can prove it

Bringing in an anecdote to go along with that.
A guy I knew who ran this restaurant in Doorant was telling me about an old white-haired man who came into his place. He was in a jumpsuit, and took a half day off to come up to Durant, starting with lunch.
The old man worked for a company down in Texas that re-machined parts for TI. The engineers at TI would make parts, screw them up and then they would send them to this company to fix. "Kids know their computers but they don't know how parts fit together" And this company was about to go under, the man says. Turns out that everyone who worked there was retiring. The youngest employee was 66. They couldn't find machinists to replace the people who were leaving.
a:"Haven't you advertised?"
b:"Well yeah in the paper and on the Monster.com, for 2 years now."
a:"Well are you paying well?"
b:"71000 a year"
a:"71 thousand! hot damn, and nobody even applies?"
b:"Nope. So I'm just using up my vacation hours before the company shuts down. Thought I'd come up to Deadrat and look around."

okwarren

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i.imgur.com_b7CPYpA.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom