Thinking about geting an AK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
RickN here has a Saiga which he's been trying to trade / sell, it's not converted but you make get some enjoyment out of bringing it to AK status.. Saiga is a full fledge Russian built arm that will last ya forever.. Just a thought..
I believe that he's never put a cash price on it. Just wants to trade for a Ruger mini 30 with wood stock.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Avoid American-made AKs is the best advice I can give. Nearly any foreign-made AKM, made in a factory that makes/did make rifles for that country's military are typically good to go.

Interesting advice. I was under the impression that some of the domestic manufacturers were putting out decent rifles these days.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Getting better, but still not to the level of the foreign-built, from all I've read. I think the Palmetto State rifle is the best of the domestic bunch.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Tantal AK74 and a Polish AK47. I put both together from parts kits and they are a blast. I will say that Ammo for the 74 has less choice but easy to get. I buy in bulk from sgammo.com out off Stillwater.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had several AK’s, including an Arsenal AK-74, but I’ve found a garden variety AR to be much better in terms of fit, finish, layout of controls, and accuracy. To me, reliability seems to be the AK’s only selling point. I got rid of them all except for a Tromix-tuned Saiga S12, and accuracy isn’t that critical with a shotgun ;)

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its not so much the rifle as it is the ammo, that keeps a AK from shooting tight groups.
But yet my 7.62X39 AR shooting the same ammo as any of my AK's shoots 2" groups(AR) as opposed to 5" groups(AK) at 100 yards with the same optic, same bench, same rest, same shooter, same target type.
I'm done with AK's personally. Had 14 different AK's at one time or another.

As far as reliability that Perplexed mentioned, I have almost 1500 rounds through one of my 7.62X39 AR without cleaning and over 1000 on another AR(7.62x39) with steel case ammo.
When do they become reliable?

As far as US made AK's, look at the bolt problems some of the US AK mfrs have had.

Last edited:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
@mouthpiece Why would you run a machine 1500 rounds with out cleaning? The rifles are running metal on metal and running them dirty seems like it would lead to premature wear, to my thinking. Even in a combat situation, that seems extreme, but I served in peace time so I am no expert on that. Is it just something you check off a questions list or what is your thinking on that?

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The only AK I've owned was an under folder Yugo. Though it was insanely reliable, it was also very inaccurate and the under folder stock was very uncomfortable. If I were to ever get another one, I'd go with a fixed stock and keep my shooting under 50 yards.

Latest posts

Top Bottom