Thinking about geting an AK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aks are like 1970 Lincoln’s and some of the other tanks that existed then. They are tough as nails. They take a beating and keep running. If want to have a tried and true battle rifle the AK is a good choice. you wont find much better. However, if you want a pin point accurate rifle the AK is not for you. You won’t ever shoot MOA or sub with it. It’s all about the “accurate enough” concept. To me.... they are fun, but not my battle rifle choice. Ammo is dirt cheap. They shoot anything. Ammo is always available somewhere. You make the choice. I’ll tell that AKs are a lot like everything else. You get what you pay for. A 400.00 dollar AK is just that. The more expensive, and more brand name the better they tend to be.

Good luck
I'll back that up 100%. Minute of target for most models, but they were not designed to be target shooters. They can be modified to be more accurate by a competent smith that works with them, but your gonna pay and they still won't be tack drivers after shelling out all the $$$.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would have to test one before I would even think of getting one and that means the kind of test I did on an AK. Throw it in the mud, run a stick down the barrel to clear it, and then fire it without an issue. A buddy had an AK and we read about people doing that, so we tried it. It worked. I doubt any AR will.
Rifles on hand, in a peacetime Army tend to have a lot longer service life than intended. My first duty station was 3rd Ranger Battalion when it first activated. We got old rickety M16A1's that were either hit or miss for functioning. # months later we got the A2's. What a difference.
Also, a LOT of problems with the M16 were magazine related, and again it was mostly because magazines were re-issued over and over again. Unit commanders felt it was cheaper to keep them rather than treat them as expendable items like they should have been. The Army, at least has learned its lesson and sticks to a strict service life policy
Having been to Afghan twice and Iraq twice also, Id take a M4 over an AK any day

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The run of the mill WASR-10 is the honda civc of the AK world. Stay away from the RAS and other american made AK variants.

I've got a WASR-10 on the way. Now I need to find a few decent magazines. It appears to have the Tapco style folder on it. Depending on how it fits/feels I may be in the market for a replacement stock as well.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your best bet is to try to talk Rick out of that Saiga. If you can't do that, then find an old WASR, or anything com-bloc (before anything made in the U.S).

I've had most AK variants over the years and a properly converted Saiga is still damn hard to beat. Here's a couple of Saiga that I took in two different directions; very dependable rifles!

1saigatree.jpg

1saiga1.jpg

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a WASR-10 on the way. Now I need to find a few decent magazines. It appears to have the Tapco style folder on it. Depending on how it fits/feels I may be in the market for a replacement stock as well.

Good choice! I'm not a fan of the Tapco side folders, but some folks are.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your best bet is to try to talk Rick out of that Saiga. If you can't do that, then find an old WASR, or anything com-bloc (before anything made in the U.S).

I've had most AK variants over the years and a properly converted Saiga is still damn hard to beat. Here's a couple of Saiga that I took in two different directions; very dependable rifles!

All it takes is a wood stock Mini 30. Might even take an M-1 carbine if the deal is right. Sorry but I like wood stocks and rear peep sights. :P

Latest posts

Top Bottom