Thinking of switching to revolver..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speedstrips are flat pieces of rubber that hold your reloads in a row and you insert two rounds at a time and "peel" the strip back and do ir again with the next two until you have fully reloaded. I feel they are slower than speed loaders but for me they are more reliable. I have never been able to get the speedloaders to operate in a stress situation with the j frames.

Now onto the gun. I may get flamed but that's OK, I have thick skin. The Tarus line of j frames are sturdy reliable guns. They make every model that Smith does at about half the cost. Here is my Model 85 Taurus with speedloaders.

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_Hume715_3.jpg

Here is a picture of a speedloader in action.

awww.hipowersandhandguns.com_Making_20J_20Frame_20Work_files_image012.jpg

No flaming, I have that very gun with factory grips...

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
ai485.photobucket.com_albums_rr214_jbarnett77_43696.jpg

This is all you need. S&W M&P 340

I picked up one of these this weekend and ran 100 rds of .38 and 10 .357 thru it yesterday. The .357 thumps pretty good but still very shootable. I was able to put 5 in the head on a IPSC metric target from 7 yards fairly easily. It is much easier to get out of the pocket than my Kahr PM9. I've kind of got revolver fever too and may get one to shoot in competition before too long.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
What is the issue w/the lock everyone is refering to ? Mine has the lock but have had no issues w/ anything. Isnt this the keyed lock to disable the gun ?

Yes it is. Some claim to have this lock the gun up at unintended times. I once had a scandium frame gun that locked up on the first trip to the range but never after that and I've never had one do it since. The no lock versions seem to be making a comeback. Smith and Wesson have the 642 and 442 available as a no lock option. I'd like to hear from anyone else who has "personally" had the lock fail. You hear a lot of internet talk about it.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Yes but I'd be careful, defensive use might have some attorney claiming you disabled a safety device.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
for CCW... hands down S&W 642's form is the best.
then if budget will allow 340PD w/CT or M&P 340 w/CT.. which are really the same form, a few oz lighter... also making your wallet much lighter.

the old saying about the best weapon is the one on you.
if your weapon is not on your person then ... really doesn't matter how super coool it is.

for CCW get the lightest pistol without compromise to firepower and reliability.
lighter a weapon is... easier to CCW all day without discomfort.

for me it's 340PD w/CT

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_340pd7.JPG

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't overlook the charter arms bulldogs for cc wheel guns- 44 spl in a solid frame .

That is a good idea. I forgot about Charter Arms when I listed the companies that make snubbies.

They have a good design, in .44 special or in .38/.357.

They have a spotty reputation for quality control. I have never had one, but I am not much impressed with the fit and finish. You can read all sorts of stuff about them on the internet. Its been talked about here, and there is tons of blather about it at thehighroad forum.

They are much less costly then Smith or Ruger.

They have been around forever, so there are plenty of used ones.

They are the most common .44 special snubby, so if you want to get a .44, this is what you get unless you want to shell out big bucks.

I think a .44 snub is a great idea, but I am OK with my .38/357 flavor, so I won't be getting one anytime soon.

jej

V1K1NG0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have my 2 in 101 on right now :gun2:

I've owned a 642 and SP-101 w/2 in and 3 inch barrels.

642 was more comfortable to pocket carry than the 101's because it was lighter.

101's were more comfortable to shoot 38+p rounds in because they were heavier. I was more accurate as well. When loaded w/ 357's they thumped but with right grips it was not a problem.

I eventually just used the 101's for OWB carry but still pocket carry them in larger jackets. Currently saving up for another 642. Never had problem with the lock.

One thing I learned about carrying a snubbie in the front pants pocket is that (for me) it was sometimes difficult to deploy in some instances when wrestling with someone (self defense class). One instance i got my hand stuck in pocket and pinned on ground. :nutkick: My pants were too tight. Got some looser fitting ones (with bigger pockets) and it helped a little bit but still wasn't as fast as with OWB. There are pros and cons to both. Just something to think about.

Latest posts

Top Bottom