This chaps my hide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just heard a story on the radio of a Newcastle woman who got 18 months in prison and a $150k fine for tax evasion because she reported $13k in income when she made $124k. Now I'm not saying she's not wrong and doesn't deserve punishment, but two things. How is the restitution for this MORE than what she even made? And why is the fed chairman a free man after doing the same thing?

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just heard a story on the radio of a Newcastle woman who got 18 months in prison and a $150k fine for tax evasion because she reported $13k in income when she made $124k. Now I'm not saying she's not wrong and doesn't deserve punishment, but two things. How is the restitution for this MORE than what she even made? And why is the fed chairman a free man after doing the same thing?

As to the former question, it's because it's a punishment, not simple restitution; as to the latter, it's because our government is as corrupt as a three-week-old fish.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As my companies high dollar lawyer once said in a civil trial "justice? what the hell does justice have to do with it!!!!"

I learned why they don't allow guns in court rooms during that trial, I would have shot at least one of the witnesses, maybe a couple more.

My limited experience is that if you go into a court room expecting justice you are either extremely naive or extremely dumb.

Thomas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Penalties and interest add up.

If you have to stiff someone, the IRS are not the people to screw with. Credit cards may screw your credit, but the IRS can garnish your wages or (as seen above) throw you in jail. You would be surprised at how little they let you keep if they come after your wages.

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me shed some light on the situation....

She was a bookkeeper and tax preparer in Newcastle. She took many taxpayer's IRS payments that were intended to pay their tax liabilities and cashed them for herself. She has defrauded many people in Newcastle who are still on the hook to pay their taxes because she stole it from them. She also filed tax returns that did not include all of the income or took a very "aggressive" position on reporting some income.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ah, that does shed some light on it. The way it was reported on the news was that she had earned $124k and reported $13k of it, and they got her on unpaid taxes. I tried to find a print version of the story, but turned up bupkis. Thanks for the better info.

Latest posts

Top Bottom