This is what ethanol fuel looks like after a few years

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I retired from a refinery 20 years ago. One of the last things I worked on was writing procedures for blending Ethanol, made from grain, and Methanol, made from any organic matter, even garbage, into gasoline. At first we did this blending at the refinery, but this created all kinds of problems, so now everyone does this at the Gas pump. Alcohol is organic, and can't be moved on pipelines, not even short ones from sales tanks, to loading docks in truck loading facilities. That is why this blending is done at the pump now. Not only that, but being organic, alcohol will degrade just sitting for long periods. I ruined an old chain saw years ago by using gasoline that had alcohol blended in it, and wasn't marked. melted all the gaskets, and hoses!! This crap don't hurt modern engines with the proper type, hoses and gaskets, I guess? I had rather use 100% gasoline but am not willing to pay more for it! Just one more example of doing what is best for we the people, even if they have to FORCE IT ON US!!
No preservatives and unused for over 3 years.
Don't know the details other than this is What it looked like when I started pulling it apart.
pink rag is what came out of the fuel tank. The pitcock was solid tar corn syrup And blocked.

View attachment 426971View attachment 426972View attachment 426973

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My best friend, his son and I stopped using ethanol contaminated fuel in our boats soon after it was introduced. Corroded spark plugs, fuel lines plugged up with crystalline deposits and carburetors on outboard motors rendered inoperable. What more could you ask for?

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
You would not believe it if I told you.
:)
I was telling @swampratt yesterday I watched a show about a man's car collection. He ran a 50 /50 mix of Aviation fuel and racing fuel and has never had any issues in any cars with bad gas or carburetor or fuel line troubles.

This was after he told me he has had no problems with alcoholic fuel.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mistakenly put E10 in a 96 model JD riding mower once. I made is 10 minutes and it died.
I pulled the carb off and all the seals were toast. That was my fault though.
Actually it was the wifes fault, I had sent her to fill the gas can while I rested in the shade and drank a bottle of water. My fault for not doing it myself.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was telling @swampratt yesterday I watched a show about a man's car collection. He ran a 50 /50 mix of Aviation fuel and racing fuel and has never had any issues in any cars with bad gas or carburetor or fuel line troubles.

This was after he told me he has had no problems with alcoholic fuel.
Come to think of it we never saw issues with AcGas at the airport but most of the planes flew often.

Latest posts

Top Bottom