Thoughts about this scope for M1A, and general opinions wanted....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should check out an Appleseed, might be a good way to gain some comfort with those iron sights. Possibly build up a Liberty rifle for cheap practice.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Appleseed? (doh, beat me to the punch about appleseed)

Just curious, what work has been done to your M1a? I too have an M1a and a Garand that I'd like to spend more time shooting. I currently have a scope on my m1a but have been thinking about removing it and sticking with the irons.

My garand is overhauled a fair bit and shoots pretty well, so I have no excuse for not shooting it more... might be time to pony up the RedCastle membership dues and get after it.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You should check out an Appleseed, might be a good way to gain some comfort with those iron sights. Possibly build up a Liberty rifle for cheap practice.

Have a nice 10/22 that I am actually planning to set up with peeps to teach my kids with. Guess it would make sense for me to learn too...

As far as what was done to the rifle, it left Springfield Armory as a "stock" M1A back in 94. It was re-barreled, and the gas system unitized. Some other things were maybe not "done" so much as done correctly in the way it was assembled and such. I don't know when things were done, or even by who, but as you can see from the posts by it's previous owner, it was done right.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Scopes on M1A's are a pain due to the mount you have to use. Quality mounts work well but then you still have the scope way up high on the rifle and you have to address cheek weld. There was a guy on snipers hide who made an adjustable Kydex cheekpiece that worked pretty well.

M1A's are cool rifles to be sure, you wont find a more reliable, lighter recoiling semi auto 308 rifle in my opinion. They just need a little more love and attention to keep accurate over time.

Andrei, PM sent.

smokingsquirrell

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well bud, If I ever manage to get back in the northern hemisphere, you know you are more than welcome to come down to the house and shoot. We can shoot in other places besides behind the arena for plenty of distance. Its just that, at this point, I'm starting to think I'll have to wait until they run the barge aground and wade to shore...

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well bud, If I ever manage to get back in the northern hemisphere, you know you are more than welcome to come down to the house and shoot. We can shoot in other places besides behind the arena for plenty of distance. Its just that, at this point, I'm starting to think I'll have to wait until they run the barge aground and wade to shore...

HA! didn't even know you were on here! When the Sniper gets out, and you are home we need to shoot some critters! maybe even make a habit out of it...

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have a nice 10/22 that I am actually planning to set up with peeps to teach my kids with. Guess it would make sense for me to learn too...

I can't yell "DO IT" loud enough. I took my oldest to a 'Seed last year. Quality father-son time. We had fun getting his 10/22 ready, getting him ready and trained for the firing line, and then had a blast on the weekend itself despite the cold. I ran my AR (with a red dot installed, but I only used the irons) while he ran the 10/22. Next time I go I'm going to run either my M1A or one of the Garands.

Irons are becoming a lost art. Even our military has bought into the optics thing and our nation's rifleman skills are fading. Don't get me wrong...I love my Aimpoint but I personally believe they should only be used after one has a solid grasp of, and proficiency with, irons.

Latest posts

Top Bottom