Thoughts on Mini 14 value

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve wanted a traditional Mini 14 580 series for quite some time, but I’ve never owned one primarily because of the accuracy reviews. Truegunvalue.com puts the value somewhere between $925-$1000. Do you guys think that the current value will increase or decrease over time? I can’t bring myself to spend $1000 on a rifle that isn’t known for it’s accuracy.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The newer series are supposed to be better, from what I have read.
I had a couple older ones, one of which was an Arizona Hwy Patrol Commemorative, stainless with blonde wood, and a gold badge inlaid in the stock. They were around 2.5 MOA with irons for the first 2 or 3 shots, but after that you might as well fire from the hip.
Between that and the $40 mags I sold them both. Only the factory mags would reliably feed at the time; there may be more options now.
An AR is a much better rifle, and id also take an SKS over a Mini any day.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The newer series are supposed to be better, from what I have read.
I had a couple older ones, one of which was an Arizona Hwy Patrol Commemorative, stainless with blonde wood, and a gold badge inlaid in the stock. They were around 2.5 MOA with irons for the first 2 or 3 shots, but after that you might as well fire from the hip.
Between that and the $40 mags I sold them both. Only the factory mags would reliably feed at the time; there may be more options now.
An AR is a much better rifle, and id also take an SKS over a Mini any day.
Agreed that the AR is a better option. I have a couple of them, but I really like the looks of wood and steel. An SKS is definitely an option, but I’m trying to keep my calibers streamlined. For those that are true AR traditionalists, don’t bash me to hard for the following statement, but I’ve also considered wood furniture for an AR.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt the value of a run-of-the-mill Mini-14 will really increase. Maybe if you got into one for $750 - $800 you might get a little more out of it later on. Minis just seem to be a love 'em or hate 'em kinda rifle.

I love 'em. Always have. I just like the looks of the gun. And, like we've discussed in another thread, the nostalgia factor is pretty high on the Mini-14 with some...like me. It was the first rifle I ever bought for myself. And, they have a distinctly different feel and sound when you shoot one.

They aren't gonna win any accuracy contests but that's OK with me. I have 2 of them and just enjoy them for what they are. They might not be everyone's cup of tea and that's OK, too.

And I'd pay $1k for a Mini-14 long before I'd pay today's prices for an SKS...no question on that.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
I don’t think that the value will increase especially since you can still buy new ones.
I know that the new replacement price of my Mini Thirty Tactical has gone up significantly this year I’m doubtful that my used one is worth more especially since I like to shoot it a lot.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This past year I paid $900 for a used 5801 Wood w/Blued steel. Had a little surface rust around the front sight that cleaned up just fine. As for mag pricing just last night I ordered 4ea 20 round Factory mags for $27.00 each which can be regularly had. You’re welcome to shoot mine if you’d like, the 580 series is WAY more accurate than the early ones which I also have and you’re welcome to shoot both for comparison. If you’re not looking for single hole groups I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
E8EEBD22-166E-49C6-BAAC-2D3FBAB3091A.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom