Thoughts while trying to sleep.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could not get to sleep last night and while lying there for hours got to thinking back to my time in the hospital back in 2019. For those that do not know, I had something that caused my to cough so hard and so much I separated 5 ribs from my sternum and my lung tried to come out. Spent over 6 weeks in the hospital, maybe 2 months I do not remember it well. What I do remember I look back on and laugh now.

They kept me under for several weeks with chest tubes, ventilator, feeding tubes, etc. Seems I pulled them out so they tied me down. I remember coming partly awake. I could not open my eyes and did not know where I was, but I knew I was restrained for some reason. All I could think of was that I had to E&E! I had to escape or I would die! I lay there and worked my right hand and wrist until it was free. Wife says they caught me just as I was reaching for the tubes again.

I have trouble breathing if I am laying flat. So in my mind who ever had me tied my up and hoisted my by my ankles, sprayed me down with a cold firehouse. In real life, a bed bath where they layed the bed flat and did not warm up the bed bath cloths.

I remember them trying to move me up in the bed and bonking my head on the headboard.

I remember when coming out of it after weeks seeing spider crawling on everything and the ugly brown curtain was dirt and I had been buried alive, or sometimes seeing the ceiling and thinking I was in a Chinese resturant for some reason.

Once I was fully awake, I was trying to get the nurse to help me but I could not find the call button and could not talk loud enough for them to hear me. I started throwing stuff off the bed table and bouncing them off the curtain. One finally saw the curtain move.

One of the tubes down my nose went to my stomach to keep me from throwing up when I got to eat. First couple meals seemed OK so they took the tube out. Next meal I started tossing my cookies. They went to put the tube back but the nurse kept getting it to far in or not far enough. Hurt every time they tried. She is apologizing all over the place and is clearly upset. I TRIED to joke and ease the tension, in what I thought was a silly voice I told her she was doing it on purpose, I could tell. She went to get help and I never saw her again.

Another time they were playing with my meds and one morning I had a panic attack for some reason. I HAD to get out of that bed or die. No nurse as they were swamped but I got the inflatable booties off and fell out of the bed. Ripped a cabinet door off the wall trying to get loose.

A few more fun things but those were the highlites. Sounds crappy reading like this and at the time were no fun, but I can laugh about them now.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang. That must have been really tough to live through. It’s good that you can look back and laugh at the memories. I’m pretty sure that experience would cause nightmares for me.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't guess you got lucky during this whole time?
Worse thing is some of the nurses were HOT! The one trying to get the tube back down I was tempted to tell that it would easier if she straddled me. Heck I could not even get the wife to get in the bed with me, and I tried to talk her into it several times. " You know dear studies have shown that a relaxed, happy patient heals better."

Latest posts

Top Bottom