Three Men Arrested After Buying Gun At Gun Show In OKC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[According to a police report, David Lee Jackson, 22, Midarreon Cook, 21, and Daveon Jackson, 21, were spotted by officers purchasing a firearm with cash at a gun show being held at the Oklahoma City Fairgrounds on Saturday, December 30.

After purchasing the 9mm semi-automatic handgun, the report states the three left the Fairgrounds in a white Nissan. Officers pulled the three over after they made an illegal right turn from the parking lot.

Officers checked the three out and found David Jackson had prior felony convictions in Oklahoma County for possession of controlled substance and marijuana with intent and possession of an offensive weapon while committing a felony, as well as a burglary 2 case. David Jackson also had pending charges for possession of a controlled substance with intent, concealing stolen property, possession of a firearm, drug paraphernalia and obstructing an officer...]

http://www.news9.com/story/20486481/three-former-felons-arrested-after-buying-gun-at-gun-show-in-okc

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So it appears that turds are going to gun shows to purchase guns from individual sellers. I've strongly suspected this was going on, but had hoped that individual sellers were listening to their gut and turning down questionable sales. What should we do about this? Is it time to have this discussion? I don't like the obvious answer, so I'm asking you if there are viable alternatives?

Something just occurred to me. Would it be helpful, effective, and or acceptable 1) stop sales between individuals without a NICS check, and simultaneously 2) Exempt handgun licensees from the NICS check, so those people can freely purchase from individuals?

This is an off the cuff thought. Don't crucify me too much if you think it's ridiculous. BTW, I'd never sell a gun of mine to a dood with a face tattoo at a gunshow. Sorry, dood, go buy somewhere else.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is an off the cuff thought. Don't crucify me too much if you think it's ridiculous. BTW, I'd never sell a gun of mine to a dood with a face tattoo at a gunshow. Sorry, dood, go buy somewhere else.

You probably wouldn't sell one to me, either. Alot of people probably wouldn't using any kind of criteria like those.

But oh well.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okiebryan,

I think your suggestions are worth considering seriously. In Superdave65's thread on this same subject, I asked similar questions - basically why don't we have the capability now as private sellers to use NICS - administrative issues, etc.

If those issues exist maybe they could be removed allowing a simple effective way for non-FFLs to employ NICS - either through an FFL in a simplified and streamlined procedure or via a yet to be devised alternate system.

Right now I use the poor man's system - I won't sell if you look wrong to me for any reason (and that is NOT determined by race), are under 21 (my own criteria for handgun sales), and I require either a current CCL and in-state driver's license or a lot of strong feedback on this site plus in-state driver's license. However, that is ad-hoc and only applies to my sales and really could stand a little improvement.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okiebryan,

I think your suggestions are worth considering seriously. In Superdave65's thread on this same subject, I asked similar questions - basically why don't we have the capability now as private sellers to use NICS - administrative issues, etc.

If those issues exist maybe they could be removed allowing a simple effective way for non-FFLs to employ NICS - either through an FFL in a simplified and streamlined procedure or via a yet to be devised alternate system.

Right now I use the poor man's system - I won't sell if you look wrong to me for any reason (and that is NOT determined by race), are under 21 (my own criteria for handgun sales), and I require either a current CCL and in-state driver's license or a lot of strong feedback on this site plus in-state driver's license. However, that is ad-hoc and only applies to my sales and really could stand a little improvement.

I'm willing to bet that the public,(private sellers) will never be allowed to use NICS. Instead we will probably see the "Colorado system" applied everywhere.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you explain the Colorado System? I know some about it, but not nearly enough.

At gun shows in Colorado if two individuals meet in an aisle and one wants to buy a gun from the other there are extra dealers on hand that they must use to do the transfers, for a fee of course. How dare anyone buy or sell without a Gov. licensed person getting a cut.

nic6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why not just have FELON printed across a drivers/id license? Unless they already have this then nevemind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom