Tick control for dogs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some dogs can have Ivomec taken internally to prevent heart worms and my dogs never had fleas or ticks when all the neighbors dogs were covered up with them.
1/4 cc per 10 lbs of body weight I had American Pit Bull Terriers. Do not give this to collies hard on the Liver on certain breeds.
An old vet told me this and used it on his dogs for 30 years with no issues.

But certain dogs it must not be used on.

This does work and I have and sometimes do it myself. I was always told 1/10 cc per 10lb body weight.
No collie breeds. Good rule of thumb is if the dog has white feet dot give it. Having said that I had a half border collie half lab that probably had more of that than any other dog on the planet and she didnt die until a round bale fell off a trailer on her.
If your dog has heartworms it will kill the dog if you give ivomec. You better be sure it dont have them and a vet can do a simple test to see. Or if they are young you should be good. Trust me, I have it to a dog that turns out had heartworms. Bad day.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife gets some sort of pills at the vet for our dogs. Expensive. . .like $20-$30/pill, but the pills take care of 100% of the tick problems for a couple months.

Well, that's good to know. I need some of those for my mutt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where do you get it. Vet?

This does work and I have and sometimes do it myself. I was always told 1/10 cc per 10lb body weight.
No collie breeds. Good rule of thumb is if the dog has white feet dot give it. Having said that I had a half border collie half lab that probably had more of that than any other dog on the planet and she didnt die until a round bale fell off a trailer on her.
If your dog has heartworms it will kill the dog if you give ivomec. You better be sure it dont have them and a vet can do a simple test to see. Or if they are young you should be good. Trust me, I have it to a dog that turns out had heartworms. Bad day.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Over the counter. Tractor supply and such. Ivomec is a name brand but ivermectin is the actual med your looking for and almost all of it is something like .1%. Its not cheap but lasts forever. And get the inject able kind not the pour on kind. Horse wormer paste that comes in the syringe looking tube is also the same thing which is what I been using lately. Just be very careful.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The best stuff I have found is Nexgaurd. The ticks and fleas die quickly and a pill lasts for 8 weeks. For my 70 pound lab the pill cost $25. Worth every penny. I have heard mixed things on the collars. Some say they work and some don't. I have seen them cause very bad irritations to dogs' skin. And I am talking bad. I tried frontline once and it is worthless. The pill is easy to administer as it tastes like a treat. I think it is beef flavored. And it is soft unlike some pills that crumble.

Latest posts

Top Bottom