Tikka.... worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I handled a Tikka T3 Lite the other day and I have to say I am in love... was thinking about a rifle that could do pretty much anything and be light enough to carry all day and it seems to be perfect. Thinking about getting a .243 or 7mm -08 that would work for pretty much anything up to and including elk. I think with the Tikka and a decent Vortex scope I would have a rifle right around 7-7.5 pounds. I am a Savage fan but that rifle might just change me... any opinions or suggestions?

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, Tikka is the best rifle you can buy for under $1000. I have owned several and still do, and I have owned Sako's and even some custom rifle's. I would take the Tikka every time.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Worth it and then some.

I'm like Jimmy, I love Tikkas. I've gotten a few friends and family shooting the T3 and they all love theirs. The action, barrel and trigger are as good as it gets in the sub $1k market and I've seen them out shoot +$1k guns. The Lite versions are indeed light. The 308s have pretty beefy recoil in that package. The first thing I do is get a limbsaver pad and it's all good.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned a couple. Still have one. The others I used as trade fodder. Accurate light smooth actions and great triggers. Probably the best value in hunting rifles. I'd say go for it. Not a bunch of after market mods available though. But that is changing.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in a similar situation as you. I looked at all the new offerings out there including the Tikka. I didn't like the plastic trigger guard and for some reason I didn't like the plastic magazine either...it works in the AR, but dangit I didn't want it in a hunting rifle. Go figure. I wasn't sure of what I thought of the 2 piece bolt either. It seems unless you want to get a $1000+ rifle, you are going to get a rifle with plastic something, somewhere. I ended up with a Herter's J9. I found one that hadn't been shot in 30-06 for $425. Now a deep blued all steel Mauser 98 controlled feed action really fit the bill. It also has very nice Williams iron sights on it. I can't say it shoots .5 inch groups at 100 yards, because it doesnt. It will hold 5 shots under an 1.25" though and that's plenty good for me. There is also the Remington 798, that you can find in a similar price range.

As other's have said, the Tikka is a great gun, I just like the quality of yesteryear.

Latest posts

Top Bottom