Time on target from concealed carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went out to the land today with my 1911 and timer just to see how I could do. Shooting at a chest sized steel plate from about 10 yards. Fobus holster under untucked shirt tail. First attempt was a dismal 4.19 seconds, second 3.27, third 3.03, but I missed on that one, so it don't count.

I had the buzzer set for random start between 3-5 seconds and was not looking at the target while waiting for the beep. I'd turn to the right and look off at the pasture, or look down for spent brass.

Then I tried double tapping, here's how that went:
First shot Second shot
3.14 4.17
3.17 4.29
2.93 3.86
3.18 4.11
2.79 4.37
2.65 3.39
2.88 3.70

I'm just curious, is this close to average, or just snail slow. Obviously I ain't no Jerry Miculek:P

With an 1851 Navy I can do around 1.5 -2.0 on first shot on target, but that's with an open holster, not a concealed holster.

BTW, if you have a iPod touch or an Iphone, order the shot timer app. It's only $9.99 and works great. If you have the iPod Touch, you'll have to get earphones with a built in microphone.

I'm very nearly the world's slowest Cowboy Action Shooter, (at EOT I placed in the top 97.8%) and now I'm thinking I'm also the world's slowest from concealed carry.:cry3:

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd say thats about average. I have never timed myself but when I took my class the guys at carry legal were doing it like 1.20 seconds and they train constantly. I'd say thats somewhat decent

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My times aren't average, but from concealment, I can do about a 1.6 or so draw consistently, cold , out to about that distance. Button down shirt or vest with my M&P9mm or 1911 with a pancake kydex holster.
With a kydex IWB holster, add a tenth or two.

I guarrantee you that your fobus is slowing you down compared to better holsters.
Good practice, keep it up and those times will drop.
Remember, the most important one is the first one.
The first cold draw is the one that matters.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Splits between shots are pretty bad, with practice you should be able to get those down to 0.25-0.3 seconds pretty easily.

I can do consistent 1.7's from an IWB holster under a t-shirt, an open garment is a little bit faster.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's something to consider adding to your practice - moving off the line of attack.

I was taught to take a step to the side or to the side and back as I draw. Your attacker will typically have tunnel-vision as he focuses on you and this will disrupt his attack long enough to throw him off.

Does anyone else do this?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's something to consider adding to your practice - moving off the line of attack.

I was taught to take a step to the side or to the side and back as I draw. Your attacker will typically have tunnel-vision as he focuses on you and this will disrupt his attack long enough to throw him off.

Does anyone else do this?

Yes...it was called the "sitting duck" drill as I recall. Don't stand there; move as you draw, hopefully towards cover, and maintain your focus on the BG as you bring your front sight up to bear...

Add a distraction in like dropping your keys, coffee, the package in your hand or whatever to get his eyes off you for a split second and you gain a bit of an advantage as well.

BravoOne

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With my G19 from Comp-Tac MTAC (Hybrid IWB) the fastest I recall off the top of my head was 1.44...

Gotta agree that the Fobus is probably slowing you down... I used one in my CCW class and I didn't like the way it drew too much...

I've got a Classifier this weekend and I'll take a look at my times and the other guys times and see what the run of times looks like...

ETA - Also have to agree with the moving off the line of attack as you draw... Preferably to some sort of cover...

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's all about the right moves .. ( solid 4 step draw count) and a good holster.

Fobus holsters are slow. I am not speedy by any stretch... but have made a cold draw hit in just under 2 seconds from my IWB holster with the shirt tucked in.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then I tried double tapping, here's how that went:
The times indicate you are not double tapping, but firing two aimed shots.

I'd suggest you break up the various parts of gun handling you are having difficulty with, and practice them separately.

Double tap: get a comfortable position with the gun pointing center of target at 7 yds. Fire the first shot, and the gun will go up in recoil. As soon as the gun comes down from recoil and you see the front sight back on the target, fire the second shot. Should be around a quarter second or less.

Speed draw: Start at 3 yds, draw and fire point shooting about chest high. When that gets easy, back up. With practice, the sights will come up in alignment; concentrate on front sight. Start shooting only one shot. When that gets comfortable, combine with double tap skills. Do not go beyond 7 yds until it gets comfortable. You want to break the habit of fiddling with sight alignment when you are doing speed drills.

You can save a lot of time by getting a good instructor to help you.

Some people are just going to be naturally better athletes at anything including speed shooting, but learning proper technique will avoid what I call "standing there admiring the target when you should be shooting."
The world record for 5 hits on plates at a steel challenge is 1.71 seconds, but most of us are happy to get the first shot off in that time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom