Time on target from concealed carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Its great that you can "double tap" really fast, and look really cool - but in combat, you'll just get dead.

My advice for your concealed carry shooting - throw away the timer and focus on accuracy and techniques - the speed will come.

Those splits are not "really fast," in fact they are slow as molasses, 0.5-1 sec. splits are just awful, but here is a person who has taken the time to quantify their ability and started to work on improving an aspect of their shooting. Which is exactly what people who chose to carry an firearm should be doing. Splits of 0.2 sec. delivering well aimed shots are easily achievable by most every handgunner with full power ammo at ranges inside of 10 yards.

Now if what you're trying to say is that he should not be chasing some ethereal time goal and make sure he develops accuracy etc. then I agree with you to a point. But how do you know if you are improving without a timer? How do you know what works and what doesn't? Maybe some of the professional trainers on this board can chime in about the usefulness of timers.

My money will always be on the guy that can put a volume of rounds on target first, just sayin.

I like the firstest/mostest comment above, sums it up pretty well.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those times are decent, but aren't you a bit too focued on TIME? All that rambling about time, and nothing about your accruacy or techniques (summer/ winter clothing, holster, baricade, stance, draw, grip, etc). There's no BEEP in combat, so looking away and waiting for a beep is pointless. Its great that you can "double tap" really fast, and look really cool - but in combat, you'll just get dead.

My advice for your concealed carry shooting - throw away the timer and focus on accuracy and techniques - the speed will come.

The Magpul guys (LOL BUST EM) have a drill that I like that they call "Balance Speed and Accuracy." Start at 3 yards, draw and put two shots into COM under 2 seconds. Keep doing this at progressively farther distances back to 25 yards. You won't be able to hold the A-zone all the way back, but it allows you to gauge how you're improving in terms of the distance at which you can get effective hits quickly.

The point is that you need both in a self-defense shoot; you can't miss fast enough to win, but a shot between the eyes is no good if it takes you 5 seconds.

thesensei said:
Shameless plug (we are sponsors on the forum after all): we offer an Intermediate Concealed Carry class that teaches these fundamentals (www.carrylegal.com/icc1.php). At our class this past Saturday, we had a student get his draw to first shot down to 1.56 seconds at 5 yards (he started the day at almost 4 seconds)! Almost every individual in that particular class doubled their draw to first shot speed, with some doing even better than that. Come take our class, and I guarantee you'll see improvement.

Quick question about this class. You list the OK CCW class as a pre-req. My concealed carry license is from Florida (since I have an IL driver's license still), so I've never taken the OK class. Can I still take the intermediate CCW class?

thesensei

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quick question about this class. You list the OK CCW class as a pre-req. My concealed carry license is from Florida (since I have an IL driver's license still), so I've never taken the OK class. Can I still take the intermediate CCW class?

Yes, that's fine. Basically, we want students to have already taken a basic gun safety class.

Latest posts

Top Bottom