Tip of the day: Take non-horrific hunting pictures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With deer season upon us, I have to speak on a pet peeve of mine.

Deer pictures with blood all over, tongues hanging out, chest cavity exposed, on a tailgate covered in blood...etc.

These aren't photography tips, I'm not a photographer...just "scene" tips.

Take the time to pose with your deer in a natural setting (no tailgates). A nice looking background is the goal. You shoot deer in the woods or in the field, so it shouldn't be hard to find a nice background setting. The deer usually dies in one for you, that's very considerate of them. Tuck the tongue back in, wash away any excessive blood, etc. I usually throw a wad of grass or leaves in front of the chest cavity to hide that ugliness, or shoot it in a way it doesn't show. Fill the frame up, and shoot it. Take some from different angles, and take several. Usually only a couple come out well.

It doesn't take long, and makes for nicer pictures to look back on later. And much better to show any non-hunting friends/coworkers/family members. I've have non-hunters compliment how nice a good picture looks, bloody tailgates with dead deer tongues don't go over as well.

It's something you might not think too much about at the time (I didn't start taking pictures of every deer until 2007, and many of the ones I did take were crappy). But you might wish you had done it later to have nice pictures down the road.
Make your buddies do it, no matter how much they whine. I now take multiple shots of every deer killed on our lease just for practice, and make them do the same for me. And they do whine. Wah.

Kill some deer, take non-crime scene photos. Good luck to you on your new mission.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, your saying that its not cool to pose with bloody knife in teeth, blood to the elbows, and bare chested?

I think we have discussed this in the past, and I'm pretty much in agreement.

I try to clean them up as much as possible.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Blood doesn't "bother" me, but it doesn't make for nice picture to keep around show non-hunters (especially wimmenz), frame...whatever.

I'm a hunter, so seeing blood doesn't mean crap to me....but a picture of a deer on a Chevy tailgate covered in blood with tongues hanging out just doesn't look as good as a well set up photo with a natural background, especially to non-hunters. Family, coworkers etc. always want to see my deer pics, most of them are far from hunters. Anytime a non-hunter says "nice deer, that's a good picture" I take that as a success.

I think we have discussed this in the past, and I'm pretty much in agreement.

I've never seen it here, but it's a sticky on some other hunting forums. Some of those guys go all out with "deer picture kits" they carry in their truck and stuff. You don't have to go that far, but it's not hard to make a decent pic.

I got an e-mail from a family members coworker that killed a big buck last year. VERY nice deer. On a tailgate, tongue hanging out, blood all over, chest cavity exposed...and a Marlboro hanging from the dudes mouth. The e-mail comments were more about the crappy picture than the deer.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got an e-mail from a family members coworker that killed a big buck last year. VERY nice deer. On a tailgate, tongue hanging out, blood all over, chest cavity exposed...and a Marlboro hanging form the dudes mouth. The e-mail comments were more about the crappy picture than the deer.

I had a co-worker that had a can of beer on the tailgate with his monstor buck when he emailed his pics around.
Guess where the eye focused.:hey3:

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to post these pictures of Marlboro man, but I'm afraid someone he knows might be an OSA member.

So I'll just crop out the ridiculous parts of a few pictures to give you an idea.

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_goofyhunter3_edited_1.jpg

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_goofyhunter2_edited_1.jpg

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_goofyhunter1_edited_1.jpg

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did he try to get all that blood in there? I've had up to 3 deer in my truck bed at once and didn't have close to that much blood splashing around.

You have to field dress them in the back of the truck, then puncture the liver and heart, then drag it back and forth on the tailgate.

Saw some pics one time of the deer, and the gutpile sitting beside them........:uhh:

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude, they looked like someone doing a parody of deer hunting for a comedy skit or something. It was unbelievable. But they really had no idea how ridiculous the pictures looked. They didn't do it to be funny. There were over 30 pictures in the email, every single one of them was the same way.
I've never met the guy, but they are....something...from what I've heard. It was a huge buck too, good looking deer. But you are not looking at the deer in the pictures.

Scary thing is I see similar pics every year. I've seen your pictures 264, they are always good. Except you use crappy photo hosts and they disappear sometimes.

Saw some pics one time of the deer, and the gutpile sitting beside them........:uhh:

Another timeless classic.

I just wish I would have taken the time to take pictures, much less good pictures from day one. We hardly ever pulled out a camera in the old days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom