Tip of the day: Take non-horrific hunting pictures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm, I dunno - you'll have to explain to me why we want to eliminate signs of violence in hunting....

Is my sarcasm meter broken on you too or is this a real thought coming out of you?

Don't read too much into it, broski. Look at the items I cropped out of those pictures, do you think that looks good hanging on an office wall? 30 pictures sent in a chain e-mail to dozens of people? Those are the only pictures that guy has of the biggest buck he'd ever killed, wouldn't you like a nicer one? It's trashy, plain and simple. That's my opinion anyways.

I sh*t every day, but I don't need to send my friends pictures of me sh*tting to remind them and "keep it real, dawg".

I shot the dang deer, watched it die and ripped it steaming guts out, I know how it died. I don't need bloody tailgates, tongues and cigarettes to make it more "realistic". I don't see any beneficial reason to show that to anyone (264mag's aunt being the exception). A good hunting picture should show a happy hunter, a good looking animal and some good scenery. I don't see tongues, guts, blood, Marlboros and Bud Light cans helping anything.

It's a matter of a crappy picture vs. a good picture...nothing more. No deep philosophy needed. Bloody tailgate shot = crappy, nice shot in the field = good.

Reaction score
Well, ok, I just disagree I guess, for the most part. The smoker there is trashy PERIOD, regardless of where/when/how he or she smokes, because smoking is itself trashy, period. But blood & a hanging tongue? Meh, that's just huntin. In fact, now I feel the urge to take a PIC of my next gutpile (hopefully cold enough outside to make it steam!) :D

However, I WILL agree that it's much more aesthetically pleasing to show them in their natural state, in the wild, for the pic, rather than among indices of human civilization, like a tailgate. I just don't have a problem with the glazed eyes, hanging tongue, and blood. Trying to stage the pic where the hunter gets way back and tries to use perspective to make his animal look huge when it's not - that's a bit comical and irritating.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent a few grand on my bear hunt, killed a once in a lifetime size bear, and every single damn picture has a truck in the background. Pisses me off that I didn't have the forethought to take some really good pics of it.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tad,

So this cat propped up against his dirt covered pickup, tailgate covered in blood, bloody tongue hanging out...would look just as good as a picture taken in the woods without all that to you? Really?

Yes it's part of huntin'. I'm a hunter, you don't have to preach to the choir. I've dragged, hauled, driven and manhandled enough deer carcasses to know what they look like. It's not offensive to me in any way, I still don't like it in my pictures (though I have some tongue/bloody pics, sometimes you don't think about it at the time...hence the tip thread. It wasn't me being a snob, I'm trying to be helpful.)

Shi*tting is part of eating, but people generally take pictures of themselves at BBQ's or party's, not in the bathroom dumping a load after the shindig.

Sincerly,
Ridge "I don't need to keepz it that real cuz I gotz nothing to prove" Hunter

I spent a few grand on my bear hunt, killed a once in a lifetime size bear, and every single damn picture has a truck in the background. Pisses me off that I didn't have the forethought to take some really good pics of it.

I've never killed anything that exciting, but my biggest buck and my dad's biggest buck we have no good pictures of. Not totally rednecked out pictures like Marlboro man, just not good pictures. Like you say, trucks in the background and stuff like that. Cluttered up pictures. When you're excited and tired you don't think about stuff like that.

Also have years and years we hardly ever took pics at deer camp. Lots of missed memories. I've been shooting several hundred a year for the last few years. I wish we took them when I was younger. That was the point of this thread.

I do send bloody arrow pictures and dead deer piled up in bushes pictures on my phone to hunting partners/dad...but that's different. Good natured ribbing, "Ha, whatcha know about that?" Besides, a bright red bloody arrow is a beautiful sight, so is a dead deer you've been trailing all piled up in the brush. But only to a hunter. :D

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Example of 2 snapshots of mine, one I took and one I didn't. Smiley faces added to protect the innocent/add humor.

Picture I wish was better (I have much worse complete with too much blood and tongues though, just not handy on my computer).

[Broken External Image]

Better one.

[Broken External Image]

Muleman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips Ridge. I am reminded to take better pictures every time I look back through my own. I had killed quite a few deer before I realized that you could stuff the tongue back in their mouth and it would stay. Little things like that make a big difference.
I must admit though, that bloody tailgate kinda turns me on! :heart:

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ridge, those are nice pictures. I my self does think it looks better w/out blood and tongue hanging out, but Damn when it gets down to the nutt cutting "who cares" Isn't there more important things to get in a pissing match about then this?:musketeers::chat::hey3::soapbox:

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't pissing, I was giving a tip and since it's the interenet I was overly prepared for someone to come in and piss on it. People tend to read too deeply into shallow things.

Plus, it gave me an excuse to post these. Tell me these ain't funny.

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_goofyhunter2_edited_1.jpg

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_goofyhunter1_edited_1.jpg

I should shop a cig in the deer's mouth, maybe put a stache on him too.

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just joking with you, no offense intended.

But I may put a cig in my next deers mouth and then have a story to tell about how he probably had lung cancer and I was helping him and his family out...

Nice tips by the way. My wife really hates looking at my hunting photos. This could be one reason why. I'll have to look when I get home but I bet half of mine are just as you described. I know some tongues are hanging out, gonna have to check for blood though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom