Tip of the day: Take non-horrific hunting pictures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where's the 1911 doe kill photo, Dennis? I'm jealous of your handgun deer.

We're practicing on does now, all we need are some nice bucks willing to pose.

]

Bought a S&W 25-5 in .45LC last month. I'm going to be carrying that for a sidearm this gun season. It should be real effective.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_PB280292.jpg

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis, that poor crossbow buck is a deer that I can relate to. Poor SOB had to zip tie his antlers together to keep everything from falling off. I can hear his doe now, "you'd loose your damn antlers if they weren't fastened on!"

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip RidgeHunter. I always try to take pics that I'm not ashamed to hang in the house.

Along the lines of your original post, this subject was a topic on the 24campfire forum not long ago. There was a thread titled " Least favorite kill photos" or something. Some of them are great,...worth a look.

Photo Link

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do have an appreciation for good pictures both taken by others and taken by me to share. Nothing wrong with sticking that tongue in or turning the animal so the blood or gore is not visible. The picture just looks more professional that way. Rather than the bloody hole or the hanging tongue being the centery focus of the picture or what the eye is first drawn to, I prefer the draw the story of the picture to be the animal itself or the hunter, or the hunt itself. I do understand some wanting to spite the squeemish and anti hunters with a gory pic for some personal satisfaction or to make a statement and I am ok with that, but I try to have my pictures tell a different story. One that shows a respect for the animal for example. I prefer a picture my son could take to share with his class or that I could share with my non hunting (not anti hunting) family members.

Just another tip. Most any photo software, even the free ones have a touchup or cut and past feature that you can use to fix a picture after the fact. Or sometimes just cropping the picture can remove something you did not want in the picture like a gut pile, or a road in the background, etc.

This Bobcat I shot with a 300 Weatherby. The side of the cat showing had a large bloody exit wound. It would have been the center focus of the picture and would have become the main subject of the picture if it remained. Using a free Kodak photo software I cropped part of the cat's coat in a clean spot, saved it, then pasted it around over the damage. You can no longer tell there is a giant gaping gut hanging hole there and made for a much better pic that I can now share with anyone IMHO.

awww.fototime.com_ECD47071C8C759A_standard.jpg

This picture had a wild turkey whisky bottle and if I remember some beer cans on the table behind the ducks. It would have been fine for posting on a forum, but it was not the message of hunting I wanted to present to my young son when I showed him the pictures. Using the free Picasa photo editing software, I made them go away with the touchup feature it has. Both pictures took no more than a couple minutes to edit.

awww.fototime.com_E35B8F14EB02A26_standard.jpg

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like this?
[Broken External Image]

This is the biggest deer I have shot and well, although the blood doesn't bother me I wish I would have had some water to wash it off with.

Someone ended up stealing the antlers from me (my fault) and this picture is the only "trophy" I have of this animal now. It could have been a better photo.

So I get what you are saying Ridge, some pics are trophy's, and you don't see people doing head mounts with blood all over them huh?

There ya go man, that's a 5 minute Shop job on it. haha

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, that poor crossbow buck is a deer that I can relate to. Poor SOB had to zip tie his antlers together to keep everything from falling off. I can hear his doe now, "you'd loose your damn antlers if they weren't fastened on!"

Actually the zip tie is how I "tag" my deer.
When the pic was taken, we were required to put our name, license # on something and attach it to the deer.
I've used the zip ties with a fine point sharpie to do just that. kept several in my back pack to be legal.

This year, you must do the same thing, but the date of harvest must also be on the tag.
It can be anything.

Just a side-note.
I read an article in a mag the other day where a guy in Colorado shot a nice bull elk. He went back to his truck to get an ATV to drag it out.
When he got back, three guys were dragging his elk off. A confrontation developed, and with a phone call a GW showed up.

The three guys said it was theirs, but the shooter said he had proof it wasn't.

He went to the elk with the GW, and pulled his business card from the mouth of the elk.

Seems the shooter put his card deep into the mouth of the elk just in case this scenerio happened.

Other guys got tickets. Shooter got his elk.:D:D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do have an appreciation for good pictures both taken by others and taken by me to share. Nothing wrong with sticking that tongue in or turning the animal so the blood or gore is not visible. The picture just looks more professional that way. Rather than the bloody hole or the hanging tongue being the centery focus of the picture or what the eye is first drawn to, I prefer the draw the story of the picture to be the animal itself or the hunter, or the hunt itself. I do understand some wanting to spite the squeemish and anti hunters with a gory pic for some personal satisfaction or to make a statement and I am ok with that, but I try to have my pictures tell a different story. One that shows a respect for the animal for example. I prefer a picture my son could take to share with his class or that I could share with my non hunting (not anti hunting) family members.

Just another tip. Most any photo software, even the free ones have a touchup or cut and past feature that you can use to fix a picture after the fact. Or sometimes just cropping the picture can remove something you did not want in the picture like a gut pile, or a road in the background, etc.

This Bobcat I shot with a 300 Weatherby. The side of the cat showing had a large bloody exit wound. It would have been the center focus of the picture and would have become the main subject of the picture if it remained. Using a free Kodak photo software I cropped part of the cat's coat in a clean spot, saved it, then pasted it around over the damage. You can no longer tell there is a giant gaping gut hanging hole there and made for a much better pic that I can now share with anyone IMHO.

awww.fototime.com_ECD47071C8C759A_standard.jpg

This picture had a wild turkey whisky bottle and if I remember some beer cans on the table behind the ducks. It would have been fine for posting on a forum, but it was not the message of hunting I wanted to present to my young son when I showed him the pictures. Using the free Picasa photo editing software, I made them go away with the touchup feature it has. Both pictures took no more than a couple minutes to edit.

awww.fototime.com_E35B8F14EB02A26_standard.jpg

Very good advise.
Just me speaking, I've never really got into the photo editing things.
I'm thinking it might be a good idea.
Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom