Tip of the day: Take non-horrific hunting pictures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He simply cropped a piece of turf from someplace else in the picture and pasted it over the area were the blood was.

To do something simple like that does not take expensive photo editing software. Using picasa, which I believe is the free one you can download from google, I just edited away the cell phone in the pic doing just that.

awww.fototime.com_F6D357ED58701B1_standard.gif

Picasa has a feature called Retouch Blemishes. You select a brush size. Click to select an area to fix. Then move the Mouse to see a preview of the replacement area then select it when it looks right. Now by doing the opposite of fixing it, I instead made a bunch of cell phones in the field.

awww.fototime.com_534F5616D0F9685_standard.gif

Reaction score
For anyone still with the thread who is interested in making their hunting pics better, here is a good page of tips.

http://www.huntingadventures.net/ind...darticles&id=3

I find this whole thing absurb, frankly - the stuff in that link - obsessing over how to make your game look bigger than it really is using perspective, and worried about whether the hunter is squatting or has his butt on the ground? Who CARES!? Just take the pic - if it shows the animal and you in reasonably good light and detail, it's done its job, and caputured the *moment* that truly reflected the hunt, not some phoney staged crap.

If you want it purty, then taxi-dermy it - be sure to have the guy stretch the hide so you can continue to try to fool everyone, too. Hell, for that matter, if the goal is to trick people to boost your ego, just buy a taxi'ed head of a much bigger animal than the one you actually got. In fact, why stop there with the same species? Your whitetail deer can become a cape buff! :confused: . I just don't get it at all, I guess.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find this whole thing absurb, frankly - the stuff in that link - obsessing over how to make your game look bigger than it really is using perspective, and worried about whether the hunter is squatting or has his butt on the ground? Who CARES!? Just take the pic - if it shows the animal and you in reasonably good light and detail, it's done its job, and caputured the *moment* that truly reflected the hunt, not some phoney staged crap.

If you want it purty, then taxi-dermy it - be sure to have the guy stretch the hide so you can continue to try to fool everyone, too. Hell, for that matter, if the goal is to trick people to boost your ego, just buy a taxi'ed head of a much bigger animal than the one you actually got. In fact, why stop there with the same species? Your whitetail deer can become a cape buff! :confused: . I just don't get it at all, I guess.

Then why continue to comment in this thread?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its all about honoring the animal who's life you have just taken.
Don't know about anybody else, but when I walk up on a fallen animal. I'm thinking two things;
#1 is a tiny bit of regret that the animal is dead, but this is overridden by the knowledge that we must manage our wildlife to sustain the hunting tradition, and keep the herd healthy.

#2 is, Oh crap....now I have to field dress another one.:D

Latest posts

Top Bottom