Tips and tricks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GOT A FLAT TIRE?
Many ways to go on this one.
I had a slow leak and it left me almost on the rim in BFE
I removed my air shock lines and used the "O" rings included with them to seal the tube when i inserted air line into a filled tire valve stem...Basically took air from filled tire and transferred it into low tire..

Breaking a bead down on a tire...The old bias ply tires were easy..stiff side wall drive up on it and break the bead..
Radials you can lay a section of 2x6 onto the sidewall next to the bead and drive up the board like a ramp..breaking the bead
You may need to turn the tire a few times.....
BUMPER JACKS will break the beads really easy..place base of jack on the bead and jack up the car.....bottle jacks work also...

Now say the tire it trash..it is all you have and you are in bfe.. break down the bead. if the tire tread and sidewall is still intact you can fill with straw or field grass or leaves and such.....pack it really full...then put it back on the vehicle..should keep you off the rim so you can drive out...

Stuck in the mud ...or wet grass.. or ice..no traction.....If you have a short section of rope or chain..chain is better..you can loop this through the rim and around the tire..basically making your own tire chains by weaving a chain in and around the tire and rim.

Done this when i was in my teens and stuck at the lake..

Yes i still mount my own tires by hand with a homemade bead breaker and tire spoons and screwdrivers and soap.

BENT AXLE: BENT RIM did you curb check the vehicle? does the tire wobble now?? Well you can remove this rim and take the wobble out by stacking a few washers on the wheel stud between the rim and hub..just a few..find the low spot and add 2-3 washers and the studs next to them add less and less....install rim and spin to see if the wobble is mostly gone....

Works to get you home until you can fix it right....
Fact i have had many utility trailers and pickup bet trailers i have done this to...Make sure you have ample threads to hold lugnuts securely...

Good idea to carry a plug kit..these will work in the sidewalls also...in a pinch...
I have been saved many times off road when i hear POW PSSSSTTTTTTTT and my buddy bails out and installs finger into hole in tire as i grab the plug kit...

These will get you home but by no means are permanent fixes...well unless you are full blood redneck!

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have a cat or cats? We go through about 5 gallons of litter a month. I buy 5 pound house brand litter from Petco in their 5 pound plastic reusable buckets. Instead of reusing the buckets for litter I clean them and fill them with water. All in all the plastic bucket ends up costing me about a dollar. The buckets are sturdy enough I can stack them 3 high. I have around thirty. That's 150 gallons of drinking water for $30 in containers that can easily be moved as circumstances require. They are made of #5 polypropylene which means they are safe to use for drinking water.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice deal on the buckets...I HAVE NO CATS..
I have chickens and i just dumped 2 bags of fresh grass clippings into their coop.
I still have plenty of awesome cilantro plants for free...
Or trade a few for a bucket:>

Did you know you can train chickens like a dog..the last month when i let mine out i have been trying to keep them out of areas like flowers and gardens... working well....like a stray dog they will split the area when a stick is hurled their direction and you hollar at them..
Now just down to hollering... and they have been avoiding those areas pretty well.
No animals were harmed in the above testing!!!

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice deal on the buckets...I HAVE NO CATS..
I have chickens and i just dumped 2 bags of fresh grass clippings into their coop.
I still have plenty of awesome cilantro plants for free...
Or trade a few for a bucket:>

Did you know you can train chickens like a dog..the last month when i let mine out i have been trying to keep them out of areas like flowers and gardens... working well....like a stray dog they will split the area when a stick is hurled their direction and you hollar at them..
Now just down to hollering... and they have been avoiding those areas pretty well.
No animals were harmed in the above testing!!!

I was just asking GC the other day if he thought I could clicker train the chickens ... Hmmmmm ... :scratch: They already come when called ... but mostly because they think they are gonna get a treat (which they do :) ) I'm pretty sure the rabbits are gonna respond well ... I've changed the "bunny, bunny, bunny, bunny" for a click of the clicker and they come RUNNING!! It sure would be nice to be able to turn the girls out without having to run ruffshod over them constantly ... Hmmmmm ...

riper1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
start a fire fast & easy, take cotton balls roll them in vasoline & put them in a pill bottle, each cotton ball will burn for about two minutes plenty of time to start your fire, i use a fire starter stick to light them & they will store in a pill bottle forever

Latest posts

Top Bottom