Tips on getting into predator hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
How's it going guys, I've recently discovered a new obsession, hunting varmints and predators. The idea of being able to grab up my AR, use some good ol Marine Corps training and sneak on out and hunt down coyotes and maybe pop some prairie dogs sounds like the most fun ever. Something that I have been looking for since I got out of the service. I had the pleasure of going out and getting a taste of it this last month in the panhandle. I have no experience with it though, and am looking for some tips.

I figure it would be easier to convince ol "farmer brown" to let me onto his land and hunt some coyotes and prairie rats than it would be to let me go after some prized deer or his fishing hole. Any tips on finding out prospective hunting land? Any suggestions on approaching the landowner? Should there be some sort of contract or agreement setting out ground rules?

Camouflage; to what extent do I need it? Do I need to get out the ol gillie suit and gillie out the rifle? Or would a plain shirt (brown/green or gray) with a blaze orange hat be suitable? Scent coverup, do I need it?

Stalking or calling? I love the idea of the stalk, but I also don't want to be out chasing my tail.

Baiting and night hunting, are they legal in OK?

Optics, I have a Nikon P223 3-9x scope, and am looking for something for spotting. Would some 10x50 binoculars be adequate?

A little back story, so you guys know what I am working with:

USMC vet
I have an AR set up for 200-300 yard shots
My experience is mostly with quail and dove hunting
I live in OKC right now, but have no problem traveling around a bit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom