Tips & Tricks For Mounting Scope to AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so mounting a scope really sucks. Keeping the gun level when torqueing down the rings while simultaneously keeping the scope level.

I have a magnetic level that works well for the scope but what do you use to ensure the gun stays level the whole time?

Mkokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
nice man thank you for the advice.

DPMS The Flipper Action Block AR-15 Delrin

Just looked at that link and realized it was the wrong one, sorry, this is what I meant to send you, the other is for the upper receiver, this will mount your lower receiver to the vise by sliding it into your magwell, like I mentioned before though, you can build one from a block of wood

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would think the upper would be more stable though right? just separate the halves and steady the upper then clamp down? that's basically what I do know except I wrap the hand guard in an old rubber inner tube I stole from my kids bike lol and clamp it in the vise. It works this way but still sucks...looking for other options haha.

Mkokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would think the upper would be more stable though right? just separate the halves and steady the upper then clamp down? that's basically what I do know except I wrap the hand guard in an old rubber inner tube I stole from my kids bike lol and clamp it in the vise. It works this way but still sucks...looking for other options haha.

I've always mounted mine by using the block I made in the magwell, it has zero movement, very secure, and I can level from all points, honestly I've never tried mounting from clamping down the upper, it was just easier for me to lock everything down from the magwell and I was still able to check function of the rifle from that point as well, that's how I build my lowers also, just one simple minded Okies point of view though, haha

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What scope are you mounting? If it's not a high end scope then there's no assurance that the crosshairs are exactly square with the flats of the scope. To make the scope square with your receiver, a machinists square, or precision parallels especially the adjustable ones are the way to go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom