Tire Rotation Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I've got 40k on my BFG AT's. I've rotated them at least 4 times since i got them with 17k on them. The right rear drive tire is now on the front and looking a little thin. This has probably been discussed at length already but what if i criss-cross the tires if I'm just driving around town vs. highway speeds? I'd like to eek out a few more thousand before coughing up the grand for a set of tires.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your manual should tell you how to rotate. On my truck that is just how it says to do so. Take front ones and crisscross them to the back and put the rears straight forward.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I were to have a blowout, I would want it on a non steering tire. I also never change the direction on a radial tire. Front to back and back to front on the same sides. $1000 for tires is worth my safety.

If I was always driving in town, slower speeds, I would be more inclined to get every single mile out of my tires. Highways speeds, no way.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your manual should tell you how to rotate. On my truck that is just how it says to do so. Take front ones and crisscross them to the back and put the rears straight forward.
what, i'm supposed to read the manual?

If I were to have a blowout, I would want it on a non steering tire. I also never change the direction on a radial tire. Front to back and back to front on the same sides. $1000 for tires is worth my safety.

If I was always driving in town, slower speeds, I would be more inclined to get every single mile out of my tires. Highways speeds, no way.
this is what i've heard also.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just switch em around willy nilly an take ur chances. When the wires are poking thru then its time to buy new used ones.

Seriously, I rotate about 3 times an buy new ones. Livin on a dirt road tends to be a lil harder on tires.

AKJ20

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The right rear drive tire is now on the front and looking a little thin

open differential ?

i1.ytimg.com_vi_x9F2GwY8F8k_hqdefault.jpg

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok,the manual says like rick said, criss cross the front to the rear and move the rears forward.
this brings up another question. since i have always gone front to rear, is it safe to start the criss cross method?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
open differential ?

i1.ytimg.com_vi_x9F2GwY8F8k_hqdefault.jpg

nah, i think the problem is the entrance to our neighborhood is sloped. its very slick and i almost always turn right. the sprinklers are on every night and no matter how easy i go at it, i get tire spin. a few years of this will wear a tire out.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ok,the manual says like rick said, criss cross the front to the rear and move the rears forward.
this brings up another question. since i have always gone front to rear, is it safe to start the criss cross method?

Radial Tires can be rotated in any direction. There are some directional Radial Tires mfg and the reason they are, is soley because of the tire pattern which effects the water movement. But most truck tires are non directional and being they are Radial built has no bearing on rotation. Hence why the owners manuals states the rotation direction does turn em backwards.

You can rotate them when ever you want. I try to do mine every other oil change if I have time, that is on the cars. But on my Diesel Truck, I try to do it every oil change as I change the oil on it every 10k miles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom