Tire Rotation Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indpndt74

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I were to have a blowout, I would want it on a non steering tire. I also never change the direction on a radial tire. Front to back and back to front on the same sides. $1000 for tires is worth my safety.

If I was always driving in town, slower speeds, I would be more inclined to get every single mile out of my tires. Highways speeds, no way.

This ^ having a front tire blow can endanger you and the people around you!

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
RV Blowouts: What Should You Do?

Maintaining control of your RV after a blowout is not as hard as it might seem. But the steps are counterintuitive. While this is no guarantee that you’ll stay upright or in you lane (how you drive and load your RV are just two factors to consider,) these tips can certainly help you keep your RV under control until you can safely stop.

FRONT TIRE BLOWOUT: When a front tire blows, your vehicle will suddenly pull towards the blown tire. You need to respond immediately to keep the RV under control. In addition to holding the steering wheel straight (and very tightly) you need to avoid doing what your instincts might tell you. That is to

Avoid braking or decelerating
Do increase your speed slightly

Turn your emergency flashers on
Gradually slow to 10 or 15 miles per hour without braking
Pull off to the right side of the road

http://camping.about.com/od/Michele-Boyer/a/Between-the-Lines.htm

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This ^ having a front tire blow can endanger you and the people around you!
Meh. Back when I was a broke college student/young professional, I regularly rode on Maypop tires. At various times, I've had blowouts on front tires, rear tires, driver's side tires, and passenger side tires, on FWD and RWD vehicles, on highways and back roads. Can't say that any of them endangered me or anyone else...

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you missed his humor.

As a retired automotive engineer once told me, put the tires on the wheels, put the wheels on the car, drive the car, the tires will rotate. ;)

Hmmm, yea I missed that one.
I figured it was something like a moterscooter....
Engineers...?
So does this mean ,stinkin badge ....doesnt drive...??

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm, yea I missed that one.
I figured it was something like a moterscooter....
Engineers...?
So does this mean ,stinkin badge ....doesnt drive...??
I took it to mean that a mounted tire will only rotate about the pitch axis, but I suppose it could be a motorcycle with tires of different sizes...

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love the BFG AT KOs, its the best $1k I could spend on something, been running them for years on my trucks, right now I have them on 3 of my vehicles. Our S-10 Blazer we keep around for something to jack around in on our little 'farm', Ive never rotated them, they have about 60k on em right now and theyre still fairly decent I would take off on a road trip to Cali in them no problem but the last 10k or so the truck has pretty much not seen any highway driving just around the farm and maybe to town and back to the store, its been great tho to have something for the kids to drive off road, they have all learned to drive in all kinds of conditions in that old thing. My AWD SUV its ATs have been on now about 6k and they still look brand new, I havent rotated them yet but I will let Robertsons in Coweta where I buy my tires decide how they want to rotate them per their opinion and my manuals instructions- that vehicle is my DD, it mainly sees alot of highway driving as well as rainy days and snow and ice in the winter. My K5 I keep at my place up in northern Cali and Ive usually done a mix of back to front or criss cross them, the tires on it now have about 10k on them and they look great but they usually only see the road now on trips to town and snow in the winter and mud in my field when Im up there staying. The wife has a little Honda CR-V commuter car that is 2WD FWD and it runs way different tires than the BFGs but she just put 2 new tires on the front and moved the better 2 of her last 4 which were on the front to the rear and chunked the bad 2. For some reason she started out with 2 good and 2 bad tires when she bought the thing and she has been replacing them 2 at a time ever since. She always likes her 2 new ones on the front it being front wheel drive and the 2 semi worn ones on the rear. Her car her decision.
K5.jpg
MMS.jpg
S10.jpg

Last edited:

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think the driven wheels are the factor in where to mount the new tires. It's that the rear tires with less tread cause more loss of control when hydroplaning.

""However due to a front-wheel drive""
Says the article... :) ...didnt catch the rear wheel, 4 wheel drive variation

However due to a front-wheel drive vehicle’s front tires' responsibility for transmitting acceleration, steering and most of the braking forces, it's normal for them to wear faster than rear tires. Therefore if the tires aren't rotated on a regular basis, tires will typically wear out in pairs rather than in sets. And if the tires aren't rotated at all, it's likely that the rear tires will still have about 1/2 of their original tread depth remaining when the front tires are completely worn out.

Intuition suggests that since the front tires wore out first and because there is still about half of the tread remaining on the rear tires, the new tires should be installed on the front axle. This will provide more wet and wintry traction; and by the time the front tires have worn out for the second time, the rear tires will be worn out, too. However in this case, intuition isn't right...and following it can be downright dangerous.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On a front wheel drive veh, the rear tires are dead, except for brake....

On rear wheel drive, theyre active, not a dead axle like FWD

""However due to a front-wheel drive vehicle’s front tires' responsibility for transmitting acceleration, steering and most of the braking forces, it's normal for them to wear faster than rear tires. ""

Not true on RWD

""The tasks encountered on a front-wheel drive vehicle are considerably different than those of a rear-wheel drive vehicle."" Tire wear experienced on a performance vehicle will usually be more severe than that of a FAMILY sedan. Each wheel position can cause different wear rates and different types of tire wear.

It is an advantage when all four TIRES wear together because as wear reduces a tire’s tread depth, it allows all four tires to respond to the driver’s input more quickly, maintains the handling and helps increase the tire’s cornering traction.

When your tires wear out together, you can get a NEW SET OF TIRES without being forced to buy pairs. If you replace tires in sets of four, you will maintain the original handling balance. In addition, our suppliers constantly introduce new TIRES, each of which improves upon their past product’s performance. If you replace your tires in sets of four, it allows you to experience today’s technology, instead of being forced to match yesterday’s.

Besides they want you to buy sets of tires, not pairs... ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom