To the naysayers about X-bows

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I decided yesterday that from now on, I am going to purposely wear a bit of hunter blaze orange when archery hunting, even when not required to....reason being, I WANT to be seen -- not so much to not get shot at (but that too), but more because if I'm up in a stand or hidden on the ground on public land, I don't want some other dude coming through and plopping down within eyesight of me, if he doesn't see me - if he's courteous, he will swing a wide arc when he sees the orange, and certainly not setup right beside me. If you're well-hidden, this could certainly happen on public land without some orange.

I am definitly gonna wear some orange while I am on the ground on public land during bow season. I have already seen two articles about IDIOTS shooting somebody with a arrow this year.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I said "trigger happy", coincidentally it's a x-bow - just pull the trigger:
http://www.news4jax.com/news/25218108/detail.html

Are you kidding me?? The article clearly states it was a compound bow in one paragraph, and in another a crossbow....
This idiot that reported this is just that...an idiot.

Was it the evil 2000 year old technology crossbow or a modern compound fitted with a zillion add-ons that shot the guy? None of us can say with this idiot reporter.

Did the crossbow do the shooting?
Or was it a human that would have done the same with no matter what weapon he had.

Here is another reason I'm calling BS on this whole article......
Anybody that has shot a bow more than once knows that you don't shoot into brush with an arrow for a "movement" shot. It would deflect touching a piece of grass, much less any penetration into "brush".
This whole article is BS. There is another story, and we don't know it.

MIDDLEBURG, Fla. -- Paramedics in Clay County rushed a 36-year-old man to a Jacksonville hospital Wednesday evening after he was hit by an arrow fired by a compound bow while out hunting in the Jennings State Forest Wildlife Management Area.

According to Karen Parker with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, John Whigham was accidentally shot by a friend, Randy Pritchard. Authorities said Pritchard was in a tree stand and thought movement in the bushes was a deer, so fired an arrow.

Whigham emerged from the bushes with an arrow through his arm.

According to the Clay County Sheriff's Office incident report, deputies called to the scene just before 8 p.m. found Whigham conscious and breathing in the blood-soaked passenger seat of his pickup truck. He had puncture wounds in his back and upper arm.

The man was shot with an arrow fired from a crossbow.

Whigham, of Fleming Island, was taken to Shands Jacksonville Medical Center by Clay County Fire-Rescue. He was in serious condition on Thursday morning.

Archery season started two weeks ago on private land and one week ago on public land.

Steve Dieck, who lives near Jennings Forest and is president of the National Wild Turkey Federation, said there is no excuse for this accident.

"I think it's a tragedy that somebody does not positively identity their target," Dieck said. "There is no excuse for it. It shouldn't have happened."

Allan Hallman of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, who works in the Jennings State Forest, said hunting accidents are not common there.

"Once you pull the trigger, let an arrow go, you can't call it back," Hallman said.

The shooting remains under investigation by the FWC.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It matters not what weapon is being used it's just a tool! my carry pistol is at home in the safe loaded for the last 2 months and hasn't killed anyone! NOW if I point it at someone and pull the trigger THEN it could kill someone! that old saying it's the nut behind the trigger is a very true fact that can't be argued! forget I said that anyone can argue :-)

I've shot the X-bows and I'll not knock them but my choice is still a compound bow and if push comes to shove I still have my first recurve and as slow as it is it will still kill deer! shot a very nice buck many years ago and that cedar arrow with ziwiky (spelling could be wrong) went right thru and found him piled up not more than 50 yards from where he was shot. I see an X-bow like a magnum rifle it's really not going to kill anything better! BUT if you can't put the projectile where it's SUPPOSED to go it matters not if it was a bad hit at 100fps or 350fps or even 3000fps your shot still sucked and you need to practice to make more human kills! Later,

Kirk

MarcusR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are my thoughts.

I purchased ax X bow, I will admit, to make it easier on me. But for someone like myself that has a very short draw length and cannot pull back the poundage it takes to get an arrow out there at good speeds due to bad shoulders this helps me out a ton. I kept my compound just so that I can continue to hunt with both.

This is what I found out this weekend. It is not easier to shoot one with a x-bow or compound. 1) you still have to have them come into range 2) they can still smell you if you don’t watch your wind, cover scent, ect. ect. ect 3) you still move around getting everything ready. The x-bows are not as light as a traditional or compound bow and not as easy to move around. I was busted by a doe at 30yrd with my x-bow this weekend and did not get a shot off.

I don’t care what you hunt with or what season you only hunt. It’s called "Hunting" not "Shooting" season. If it was easy with any means of weapon then everyone would do it. This is just my opinion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom