Toyota engine recall.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow. Pretty good thing they're doing though. Other manufacturers would just say wait till it clusters and if it's out of warranty too bad. Toyota also replaced rusted frames for free for something like 20 years I think.
Don't think they did the engine recall out of the kindness of their heart. Been an issue since releasing their V6 twin Turbo. Even crazier, the turbos fail quite often. To replace the turbos the cab must be raised off the frame. Dealerships won't even accept Tundra's for trade in. Toyota has done many things right in the past by releasing good reliable vehicles, as for the current batch this is what happens with too many EPA mandates for mileage and emissions standards.

I am not buying the argument that CAFE standards and EPA requirements have made for better vehicles. the 1960 Ford Falcon was capable of 25 to 30 mpg before automakers had CAFE requirements.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't think they did the engine recall out of the kindness of their heart. Been an issue since releasing their V6 twin Turbo. Even crazier, the turbos fail quite often. To replace the turbos the cab must be raised off the frame. Dealerships won't even accept Tundra's for trade in. Toyota has done many things right in the past by releasing good reliable vehicles, as for the current batch this is what happens with too many EPA mandates for mileage and emissions standards.

I am not buying the argument that CAFE standards and EPA requirements have made for better vehicles. the 1960 Ford Falcon was capable of 25 to 30 mpg before automakers had CAFE requirements.
I'm with you on that. Toyota has gone down hill. They should have stuck with their simple designs and long running engines. The last tundra engine was legit. I wouldn't buy any of the new stuff now and no turbos for sure. Maybe a Ford 302 if they still put them in. Not that I can afford any of them anyway.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The issue is machining residue in the engine blocks when being assembled. Not cleaned completely.
The KIA's have this same issue in some models requiring an engine knock sensor to be installed to extend the engine warranty. We had one installed last year in the KIA we inherited from MIL when passing away.
I suspect Toyota and Kia must have been using the same company to machine the engine blocks?

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like fords, chevys and Toyotas. Only one I don't like is dodge. But I think overall Toyota is the best. The tundras are incredible from years past. Along with many many others. Just way better than the competition. Almost not even in the same ballpark.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The issue is machining residue in the engine blocks when being assembled. Not cleaned completely.
The KIA's have this same issue in some models requiring an engine knock sensor to be installed to extend the engine warranty. We had one installed last year in the KIA we inherited from MIL when passing away.
I suspect Toyota and Kia must have been using the same company to machine the engine blocks?

Toyota makes those engines at a plant in Alabama.

Latest posts

Top Bottom