Toyota engine recall.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't think they did the engine recall out of the kindness of their heart. Been an issue since releasing their V6 twin Turbo. Even crazier, the turbos fail quite often. To replace the turbos the cab must be raised off the frame. Dealerships won't even accept Tundra's for trade in. Toyota has done many things right in the past by releasing good reliable vehicles, as for the current batch this is what happens with too many EPA mandates for mileage and emissions standards.

I am not buying the argument that CAFE standards and EPA requirements have made for better vehicles. the 1960 Ford Falcon was capable of 25 to 30 mpg before automakers had CAFE requirements.

Vehicles manufactured today are designed to remove the body for major repairs. Thats pretty much SOP these days.

I dont think any dealer would take in on trade a vehicle with open stop sales or open safety recalls.

Toyotas looking at about 98,000 engines, Up until the recall the solution was a short block, but even those were failing.
Thye must have identified the manufacturing issues and solved them. Well I hope they did.

Last edited:

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If Toyota loses their reputation they're done. These things can't happen with Toyota.

IMO toyota is not the company of the past. They have been riding on a reputation from many years ago.

While the previous gen Tundras were for the most part pretty solid, I owned 4 of them, they did have their issues,

I owned a 2022 Tundra for a total of 4 months, one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made was getting that one.

No vehicle is perfect, but I really believe toyota took that million mile tundra they made a fuss about, looked at what went right and decided to "fix" those items so they would not be right again.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like fords, chevys and Toyotas. Only one I don't like is dodge. But I think overall Toyota is the best. The tundras are incredible from years past. Along with many many others. Just way better than the competition. Almost not even in the same ballpark.

One of the best trucks I have ever had was a 1994 Dodge Ram, it did eat water pumps about every 40,000 miles for some odd reason tho. Kept that beast from 1994 thru 2002. Wish I still had it at times, Was very pleased with that one,.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the best trucks I have ever had was a 1994 Dodge Ram, it did eat water pumps about every 40,000 miles for some odd reason tho. Kept that beast from 1994 thru 2002. Wish I still had it at times, Was very pleased with that one,.
See that 40k water pump would be a no go for me. I have driven toyota trucks for a half a million miles and never replaced a starter, alternator, water pump or anything really. I do love fords now accept their issues. I would buy an d150 in great condition.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
See that 40k water pump would be a no go for me. I have driven toyota trucks for a half a million miles and never replaced a starter, alternator, water pump or anything really. I do love fords now accept their issues. I would buy an d150 in great condition.

We had a 1975 olds cutlass salon that ate alternators about ever 2-3 years. Would just burn up, never could figure out why. My folks had that car from 1975 to around 1986 IIRC.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone think that GM or Chrysler would do this recall if it was on them? This is good publicity for Toyota to a great degree.
Actually Ford has in the past, however in recent times not so much. Sad. Good publicity for Toyota? This has been an issue for over a year, that opportunity has flown by.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If Toyota loses their reputation they're done. These things can't happen with Toyota.
That's why they are replacing ALL of these engines and not just the ones who get towed to the dealership. Sure, short term the people who've been affected will cry and moan, but if Toyota gets the problem actually fixed and makes them whole, they'll be back along with others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with you on that. Toyota has gone down hill. They should have stuck with their simple designs and long running engines. The last tundra engine was legit. I wouldn't buy any of the new stuff now and no turbos for sure. Maybe a Ford 302 if they still put them in. Not that I can afford any of them anyway.
Their decline began with the Prius unintended acceleration problem and got compounded by the Takata airbag recall. It cost them so much they had to cut costs somewhere. IMO, R&D suffered greatly, along with QC. That's had a cascading effect on Toyota reliability ratings. We've had 4 TMC vehicles across 17 years, but currently have none. One vehicle on my short list is the new GX 550 Overtrail, but it's all-new for 2024 and shares this engine. I wouldn't get one until they've had a few years to sort the issues. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom