Traffic Law

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe in Britain, but in the US, it’s almost always the driver on the right who is required to yield when traffic is converging.

Basically, the two yield requirements are independent of each other; the left turn yield is dependent on the north-south traffic, and the right turn yield is dependent on the east-west traffic. The driver turning left from the southbound street is effectively eastbound traffic when the merge happens, so the northbound-to-eastbound right-turn driver is required to yield.

If you offset the intersections, it becomes easier to understand. Instead of making the intersection a crossroad, move the southbound lanes west by 500 feet, so the northbound and southbound lanes make two independent T intersections with the east/west road. Now you can see how the person who makes the left turn from the southbound road is part of the eastbound traffic when he gets to the northbound intersection, and you can see why the person making the right turn from the northbound lane has a yield requirement.

By moving south bound west, you totally change the dynamic.

4-way stop, driver on your RIGHT has right - of - way, not left.

The right turn driver is traveling south, requiring the northbound driver to yield.
South bound takes right turn lane, clears north bound to make a left turn.
Now, both are going west. But, who is turning into what lane?
Left turning into far lane, illegal.
Right turning into far lane, illegal.
Both are in correct lane, nothing happens. One or both are illegal.
Without being there, it's all armchair quarterbacks and mostly pointless.
Other than show the complexities of allowing turns without a dedicated green.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By moving south bound west, you totally change the dynamic.

4-way stop, driver on your RIGHT has right - of - way, not left.

The right turn driver is traveling south, requiring the northbound driver to yield.
South bound takes right turn lane, clears north bound to make a left turn.
Now, both are going west. But, who is turning into what lane?
Left turning into far lane, illegal.
Right turning into far lane, illegal.
Both are in correct lane, nothing happens. One or both are illegal.
Without being there, it's all armchair quarterbacks and mostly pointless.
Other than show the complexities of allowing turns without a dedicated green
I was thinking about the left turn driver coming from the north and the right turn driver coming from the south, but shifting the southbound lane to the west still works as a thought experiment with the left turn coming from the south and right turn coming from the north.

A 4-way stop isn’t applicable here—this intersection has traffic lights (which were presumably working when the collision happened). The southbound driver making the right turn is still merging with westbound traffic and is required to yield the right of way to the westbound traffic. The northbound driver who made the left turn onto the westbound street becomes westbound traffic, so the southbound driver turning right should be yielding to him.

I’m not sure where you’re getting far lanes from—those streets all look like they are two-lane roads with a center turn lane. The only exception is the southbound street north of the intersection, which has a dedicated right turn lane.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Port you see is the Port of Catoosa

Pic one
westbound
1725680358602.png

1725680523280.png

southbound
1725680717404.png

1725680849386.png

I get it now. THis traffic signal is a five light red, yellow, yellow right turn, green right turn, green.
That is why the yield on green. It isn't a protected turn.

eastbound
1725681198029.png

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Port you see is the Port of Catoosa

Pic one
westbound
View attachment 508846

View attachment 508847

southbound
View attachment 508848

View attachment 508849
I get it now. THis traffic signal is a five light red, yellow, yellow right turn, green right turn, green.
That is why the yield on green. It isn't a protected turn.

eastbound
View attachment 508850
I was going to take some pics myself, but you saved me that.

I need to make sure that is the current southbound right turn light configuration. I remember the red, protected green turn and green. Not sure I’ve seen yellow, at least not the yellow lighted up. I think the new lights I’ve seen at different locations have three lights with different functions but the same meaning.
The left turn yellow light that is either solid on, or flashing.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going to take some pics myself, but you saved me that.

I need to make sure that is the current southbound right turn light configuration. I remember the red, protected green turn and green. Not sure I’ve seen yellow, at least not the yellow lighted up. I think the new lights I’ve seen at different locations have three lights with different functions but the same meaning.
The left turn yellow light that is either solid on, or flashing.
If it is a three light system then it will be a red, yellow and green if it has 5 then it will have a duel function you will have the protect right/left turn and then you will have the unprotected turn, if it has a 4 light system on the turn you will have a flashing yellow added so you can turn with caution but the oncoming traffic has the right of way.

And fyi i spent 25 yrs working on these stupid things but not a expert just have working knowledge of how they work and how to fix some problems they have. And each jurisdiction has them set up a little different, but the main function is all the same set by federal standards.

Last edited:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking about the left turn driver coming from the north and the right turn driver coming from the south, but shifting the southbound lane to the west still works as a thought experiment with the left turn coming from the south and right turn coming from the north.

A 4-way stop isn’t applicable here—this intersection has traffic lights (which were presumably working when the collision happened). The southbound driver making the right turn is still merging with westbound traffic and is required to yield the right of way to the westbound traffic. The northbound driver who made the left turn onto the westbound street becomes westbound traffic, so the southbound driver turning right should be yielding to him.

I’m not sure where you’re getting far lanes from—those streets all look like they are two-lane roads with a center turn lane. The only exception is the southbound street north of the intersection, which has a dedicated right turn lane.

I was looking at it as 4 lane, not 3. In which case, right turn driver is at fault.

4 way stop is relevant to driver to the right has right - of - way.

Part of the issue is exacerbated by the signal lights. Though, the lights meaning / function are a FTC std. Local set ups or the lights are not the same. Locals accustomed to the lights will not react the same as a traveler, who may not have ever seen such a light. A bit of situational awareness, courtesy and slow tf down, would go a long, long ways.

Latest posts

Top Bottom