Trailer tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Honest question,
Other then the number of plies, what's the difference?

10-12 ply being best, in my head...
More plies = more load capacity, typically.

Car tires are made to transfer power from the vehicle to the roadway and respond to sharp turns while maintaining traction and grip. At the same time providing cushion and comfort.

Trailer tires use different construction and materials to dissipate heat more readily and have strengthened sidewalls to carry heavy loads.

This article covers the basics pretty well.

https://trailervalet.com/blog/what-is-the-difference-between-trailer-tires-vs-regular-car-tires/

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 77" x 10' utility trailer that has 205/75/15 tires. Should I replace them with trailer tires or car tires? The trailer is used to haul a mower or a sxs.
The post above 👆 👆 🖕explains why one tire is better than another.
In your situation, hauling that light load, you could get by with truck tires just fine if your trailer is single axle.

Question #2 is what brand of tire should I buy when I get trailer tires if that is the route you want to go which in reality is the best way.

We spend about 7 months a year on the road pulling an RV that weighs about 15 thousand pounds. Tire safety is paramount among RV'rs.

We constantly challenge the new folks getting into the game to get rid of the ST trailer tires made in China. Commonly called China bombs as they will finally explode causing thousands of dollars of damage to the RV. Most are only rated at 60mph from the factory that only puts on cheap tires unless special ordered.
There are several trailer tire companies out there that are good and last forever. Goodyear Endurance ST are probably the pinnacle. If they shred, they remain whole with the sidewalls going away vs the tread, saving the RV. We watched several videos of the aftermath of them self-destructing with no damage to the RV.
Any tire has the potential to self destruct. The china bombs WILL self destruct.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Google is your friend and foe.
There are 100's of RV articles on this exact topic. Most articles recommend 10-12 ply heavy duty truck tires for more load capacity. Others disagree.

Good luck. You've open up a can-o-worms.
(...Getting popcorn for the show...)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Google is your friend and foe.
There are 100's of RV articles on this exact topic. Most articles recommend 10-12 ply heavy duty truck tires for more load capacity. Others disagree.

Good luck. You've open up a can-o-worms.
(...Getting popcorn for the show...)
Correct. There is a shat storm of discussion one way or the other about tires, but there is no discussion about the china bombs being unsafe. They are.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom