Trapping a critter...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No noises last night, but caught another one this evening. Hopefully it's the better half.

The landowner I hunt on has skunks getting into the crawl space of the old farm house he uses for a deer camp.
So far this year, I've taken 5 skunks and one possum from the area under neath the deck.
I reset the traps today, and will check them again in the morning.

My point is, there will probably be more than two. I don't have any scientific or biological theory about my next statement, but it seems they live in family groups, and when the next breeding season comes around they run the others off. I don't know if the noises you heard are the fighting by breeding pairs, or mom running off the little ones. Time will tell I guess.
Good luck, and I don't envy you in the interim.
I'm wondering if the other holes you are seeing are armadillo?

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mad skunk diddlin' be happenin' 'round here.

I'm sitting here with the window open and can smell one now. Skunk smell never really bothered me. I mean if it was on me it would, but just smelling it in the air is not unpleasant to me. I took pictures of a hawk on a roadkill skunk yesterday. Every time I leave the house at night I see skunks cruising the bar ditches.There is a dead skunk every few hundred yards on all the county roads at this very moment. I gotta say, I run across traffic for no female. Especially one that smells that strongly. The cartoons were right, skunks really are hopeless romantics.

I was over at my parent's the other night, and skunks were about. I tried to talk my dad into a spotlight/shotgun expedition in the yard. They had my sister's kids for the night and didn't think the timing was appropriate. They're damn city kids, I think it would be a good learning experience.

Latest posts

Top Bottom