Trapping a critter...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't know if this was the best place to post this... so here goes.

I've got a critter under my trailer. A stinky one. The couple of times that I spotted it out, it looked like a cat with no tail. We're not sure if it's a skunk or what... because it's not behaving like a skunk.

It persistently stinks, as in you can tell from inside the house approximately where it is at. It stays quiet most of the day, but like clockwork at 11PM and 3AM, it let's loose. Loud squeals, followed by loud banging against the floor and skirting, followed by a stink that makes the area skunks seem like a good smell.

We've had a trap out near the access panel for about a week, but no dice. When we first noticed it, it had dug underneath the access panel. Now we have random holes pop up along the skirting dug from the skirting side (no mound outside the skirting). It has to dig 6-18" to get under the skirting depending on where we're talking (runoff has flowed in through the access panel and piled up on the opposite side at the axles over the last 33 years, and some of these holes have been at or near the axles).

What should I be baiting the trap with? We've tried tuna and sardines so far. Or would it be better for me to just get a ghillie suit, nightvision scope, and lie prone about 100 feet away and wait for it to move across the opening? We know for sure it moves through there every night.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At first we thought it was a skunk, but A) Morgan (our dog) has no problem killing them and has since we set the trap, and B) the smell is worse than a skunk, and C) it should have been caught in the trap.

We've had skunks under the house before. This sounds bigger, or at least meaner.

okieboomer1

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You might have to try several traps at most areas of entry/exit...if all else fails well...replace the word " enemy " with " critter ".
ai1110.photobucket.com_albums_h445_okieboomer1_300px_US_M18a1_claymore_mine.jpg

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might have to try several traps at most areas of entry/exit...if all else fails well...replace the word " enemy " with " critter ".
ai1110.photobucket.com_albums_h445_okieboomer1_300px_US_M18a1_claymore_mine.jpg

Considered a version of that too, but the new Stearns and Foster mattress might suffer some damage from that. Considering what it took to move it in, I'm not exactly willing to move it out of the room.

Redmule454

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Badger! :idea:
They stink! And I don't blame your dog for not messing with it!
They smell bad on their own and then claim a dead animal by burying under it or dragging it home. :yikes2:
They are tough to kill with a .22 but a head shot will do it. :50cal:

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
but like clockwork at 11PM and 3AM, it let's loose. Loud squeals, followed by loud banging against the floor and skirting, followed by a stink that makes the area skunks seem like a good smell.

Man, I'm really sorry about that. I've been trying to work on my drinking problem.

In all seriousness, if you have him patterned like that...you know what you need to do.

Tonight, 10:45 P.M:

-Veirfy you have a round in the chamber.
-Make sure your flashlight is working.
-Wait for it to "let loose".
-It's time to go in.
-Post pics.

Godspeed Mr. Meat...godspeed. You'll need it, I agree with Redmule. It sounds like a badger.

Latest posts

Top Bottom