1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Tree planting

Discussion in 'Preppers' Corner' started by Roy14, Jan 30, 2021.

1. SoonerP226

SoonerP226 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Well, thank goodness they're good for something other than drawing blood.

Roy14 likes this.
  2. Oklahomabassin

Oklahomabassin Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I didn't choose the type of tree. I was just honoring my commitment for a day of labor in exchange for the donation to the organization I labored for.
    Used to be called a "Slave Sale".

Roy14 likes this.
  3. SoonerP226

SoonerP226 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    FWIW, the various species of oaks we planted were planted in a hole dug with a 3-point auger on the back of a tractor. It has been a few years, but I recall the holes being about 12" in diameter and dug down about two feet. We left as much of the dirt as possible in the hole, but we had to dig them with the auger because they were competing with well-established Midland-99 hay, which has roots that go down deeper than that.

I think we planted them six years ago as bare-root seedlings, about 12" or so tall, and the survivors are anywhere from three to six feet tall now. I don't recall how many seedlings we planted, but our success rates with them was very good; drought might've gotten a few, but it was mostly human error that took out the ones that didn't make it.

Roy14 and Oklahomabassin like this.
  4. SoonerP226

SoonerP226 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I'm not criticizing, it was just a joke. You know, like the funny kind, only different...

Oklahomabassin likes this.
  5. Oklahomabassin

Oklahomabassin Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    It is all good, like water on a ducks... I shouldn't have quoted your post. It was a general reply to all of the "why black locusts?" Lol

SoonerP226 likes this.
  6. Roy14

Roy14 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I don’t have an an auger so I may just dig down with my backhoe and then refill in the hole with loose soil. I’m thinking about cutting down the topsoil some to retain some water after rains as well. The summer sun bakes anything up on this hill, myself included.

7. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I do not know your environmental conditions , I have been planting myself, but everything I'm planting is fruit or berry.. If I had years ahead I would put in nuts too but my expiration date likely falls before I'd see any nuts fall.. I myself would look for trees that will provide an edible..

Neanderthal and Roy14 like this.
  8. Neanderthal

Neanderthal Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Black Locust don't have real big thorns, you're probably thinking about Honey Locust. Those things SUCK!!

dennishoddy and Oklahomabassin like this.
  9. 264killer

264killer Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    planted 200 loblolly pines just plowed a farrow . dropped them kicked some dirt on them & ran water down the farrow. had a good stand . but a drought got most of them.

10. MacFromOK

MacFromOK Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    There was a small stand of Locusts close to the house when we moved here in '76, so I cut 'em down and burned 'em.

Had multiple punctures of course, but one finger stayed sore for over a week. It eventually festered around the nail and drove me nuts for a couple days. Soaking it in Epsom salts didn't help.

So I finally squeezed the gizzard out of it, and a small (1/4"?) thorn tip popped out from the side of the nail. It healed right up after that.

They are not among my favorite (lol, or even tolerable) trees.
    :drunk2:

Roy14 likes this.