Trotlining without bait

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donokc

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to run a trotline for catfish that used no bait? I have heard about this for a long time but could not find any information of how to set it up. i know that they were using Tru Turn hooks and run it in an H configuration, and as the fish rubbing along the trotline they get hooked. i know there are more to it but the guy that i saw doing that would let me in his secret. hoping you guy know. thanks

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It has to do with how you tie the hook. When the fish rubs the hook it turns it in a way that would cause the hook to flip and stick. This is only what I've heard and was shown but never actually tried it. Don't know the name of the knot but I think it was make a loop then run the loop through the eye Twist Around hook and tighten something like that.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6745 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is called a snag line.
Keep the leaders clean and thin .. usually paracord for main line.

Catfish are like cattle or other animals they will follow a trail.. when you get fish on the hooks those hooks will usually be always getting the fish.. you can have an area 15 feet on either side of the trail that will not produce many fish at all.

Semi tire with rim ... cut the sidewall out of 1 side and fill with concrete.. atach a chain to the rim and then tie one end of this to your snag line.

Big stuff as you will get big fish.
Buddy used 8/0 O'Shaughnessy Hook or 10/0.

Kept scotchbright handy to keep slime and buildup off of the drops.

Around 2.5 foot drops if i am correct.
Run the line with submerged jugs and window weights to keep the hooks up off the bottom a few inches.

If this is in water you own it is legal.. do it in other water and you will get in trouble.

Put some bait on them you will be fine.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow!! Vision from the PAST!
My grandfather took me camping about 45 yrs ago and he set a snag line. Knee deep water along a sand bar in the Arkansas river. We caught fish but I couldn't tell how many.

donokc

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
well, i guess i will be using my baited line then, didn't know that it is illegal in oklahoma. i know there are guys that doing this at dirty bird and grand lake.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It really puts the hurt on the big fish. Most people that run those only want the monsters and do not abide by the daily limit. just saying.

But on the flip side if this is how they feed their family because money is tight i do not have an issue with it.
I have ate from trash cans.. i know what it is like to be hungry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom