Tsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's codified in the TSA travel document SOP that the only acceptable forms of state issued ID, are those issued by the DMV or equivalent state office for the sole purpose of identification, and not for evidence of any other status. Your SDA permit is expressly issued for the purpose of identifying your status as someone who's authorized to carry concealed, therefore it's not on the approved list. It may be used in conjunction with other forms of ID to verify identity in the event your primary ID is lost or stolen, but it isn't supposed to be accepted as a primary ID for identification purposes during travel.

Before you go complaining that this is a stupid rule, please remember that the correct avenue for expressing said complaint is your elected representative! :)

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for bringing some facts to the table GTG.

"those issued by the DMV or equivalent state office for the sole purpose of identification, and not for evidence of any other status."

Can't it be argued that a Driver's License isn't for the sole purpose of ID, but also for evidence of status as a licensed motor vehicle operator?

Or is that where the REAL ID comes in?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually,

There is this law called the REAL ID Act. Because of that, the TSA is only allowed to accept very specific forms of ID. What's interesting is, states were required to have their DL comply with this law by a certain time, and Oklahoma is one of several states that have refused to follow it. It has been discussed on other sites that the TSA could refuse your Oklahoma DL as a form of ID and prohibit you from flying because Oklahoma has passed a law prohibiting the implementation of the REAL ID Act.

If you got them to take your CCL after pitching a fit, it was only because you were causing a nuisance to them, and I doubt you'll get a TSA agent outside of Oklahoma to EVER accept your CCL as ID. It doesn't comply with the REAL ID Act and is not considered an acceptable form of ID for the purposes of this law. There is a time and place to "rock the boat", but I don't think the security screening at an airport is the place to do this. I always use my passport even when I'm not flying internationally so I never run into any problems with an agent who might be unwilling to accept the Oklahoma DL because it does not comply with the REAL ID Act.

http://www.dhs.gov/files/laws/gc_1172765386179.shtm

The REAL ID Act is an unfunded mandate and stands in direct violation of the 10th Amendment. 25 states have officially opposed REAL ID, which is why it's not being enforced. The federal government overplayed their hand and the states are calling their bluff. FWIW, almost all Republican congressmen voted for REAL ID. The Senate passed it unanimously, but only as part of a much broader bill. McCain supported it, but Obama was against it (probably another reason it isn't being pushed).

Remember, whether you vote "D" or "R", all you're really doing is saying which rights you're willing to give up first! :(

owassopilot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
REAL ID should not yet be an issue in airports. State compliance is not required until 01/15/2013.

That is correct...However, that doesn't mean you won't run into a TSA agent who wants to make an example out of you for some strange reason. Also, unless Congress grows a brain an repeals this silly law, this law WILL go into effect. Oklahoma residents run a very good chance of not having their DL as an accepted form of ID for flying commercial. I would recommend everyone go get a passport, even if you don't travel internationally.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is correct...However, that doesn't mean you won't run into a TSA agent who wants to make an example out of you for some strange reason. Also, unless Congress grows a brain an repeals this silly law, this law WILL go into effect. Oklahoma residents run a very good chance of not having their DL as an accepted form of ID for flying commercial. I would recommend everyone go get a passport, even if you don't travel internationally.

By law, my OK DL should be valid as acceptable ID until 12/1/2017. I guess it's passport time afterwards.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for bringing some facts to the table GTG.

"those issued by the DMV or equivalent state office for the sole purpose of identification, and not for evidence of any other status."

Can't it be argued that a Driver's License isn't for the sole purpose of ID, but also for evidence of status as a licensed motor vehicle operator?

Or is that where the REAL ID comes in?

In most states, the DMV is the defacto identity verification office for all state programs. Even if you don't drive, you get your state ID from the DMV. This isn't a REAL ID issue, I think it's more that they're trying to limit the sources of ID they have to verify. Each airport has an ID guide, but those guides don't contain examples of CCW permits. Our state issued ID comes closer to REAL ID compliance than the SDA permit, but that's a separate issue.

REAL ID can and should be repealed. Otherwise it cuts into the already empty coffers of state and federal government to fight it out in court.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that the OP just wanted to be fondled by a TSA agent, otherwise he would have complied with the request...hell, he probably had to dig around his DL to get to his permit anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom