Tube vs. Box magazine. Which is more accurate?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is more accurate?

• Tube

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Box

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Clip...........(fail)

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ok, looking for opinions, hopefully supported by a certain amount of fact or experience. I understand about "free floating" and "harmonics" but does that really play a big roll in rimfire?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Regardless of barrel harmonics, even .22 barrels will heat up. I would think that having things attached to the barrel that were not heating and cooling at the same rate would put stress on the barrel that could shift POI as the barrel heats. I have no experience with tube fed .22lr POI shift, but I did have a Winchester 94 30-30. It would put two shots touching at 100 yards from a cold bore. the 3rd shot invariably wound up 1.5-2" low and left.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't think of a "target" gun that is tube fed. only sporters.
Like in the Rem. 500 series bolt actions 510,11,12,13,14
the single shots and detach mags models were marked target(targetmaster)
the tube models marked sporter or sportsmaster

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are several problems with hanging a magazine tube under the barrel.

The only tube magazine .22 I've shot that was consistently accurate is the Browning with the tube magazine in the stock. I've an old Remington that visibly walks on the target as it heats.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There are several problems with hanging a magazine tube under the barrel.

The only tube magazine .22 I've shot that was consistently accurate is the Browning with the tube magazine in the stock. I've an old Remington that visibly walks on the target as it heats.

I have an old Marlin model 60 thats pretty darn accurate, but for tube guns the best of the bunch is the Marlin 39A!

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I didn't vote, was going to vote for the tube, But lack of bedding and the garbage underneath it is are very valid points, and ,in my mind at least, eliminate it from consideration. what bothers me about stacked rimfire cartridges is that the first one is not presented to the chamber(usually) at the same angle as the last and can result in lead shaving. I would prefer a single shot, or a box, shot single shot.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I didn't vote, was going to vote for the tube, But lack of bedding and the garbage underneath it is are very valid points, and ,in my mind at least, eliminate it from consideration. what bothers me about stacked rimfire cartridges is that the first one is not presented to the chamber(usually) at the same angle as the last and can result in lead shaving. I would prefer a single shot, or a box, shot single shot.

The Walther and Anschutz do not do this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom